Old Tobacco from my Dad's Garage - Any ideas how old?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
I was talking to my dad about pipe smoking and told him I had started, He used to smoke when I was a kid and I was after his old pipes! He couldn't find the pies (he's still searching...) But brought out some old tobacco. He had no idea how old they are but he reckons he hasn't really smoked in 15 years or so and may well have bought some of these tobaccos well before then!
First up: 3 tins of un-broached Dunhill still vacuum sealed tins
img_0308-600x448.jpg

No idea how old but very basic EEC warning stuck on back so I guess it was when UK first started using warnings
Second: 1 tin of Petersen University Flake. Square tin so I have only seen round ones these days. It too is still vacuum sealed
img_0304-572x600.jpg

Third: MacBaren x 4 pouches. These are still sealed but weren't kept in an airtight container. Likely 15 years old I guess - no tobacco health warning
image4-448x600.jpg

Last - the most interesting

- 3 pouches of 'Ridgeback' these were bought over 20 years ago in Zimbabwe. My family used to live in what was Rhodesia and my dad bought some on his last visit. Now here's the problem they seemed to have been sold in non-vacuum sealed pouches in cellophane. The cellophane had deteriorated had had split and the bag had no stuck seal. The tobacco is not an aro but is quite dry - is it still salvageable with a touch of rehydrating?
img_0307-600x448.jpg

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
An awesome find! You can try rehydrating, I found some tucked away for at least twenty years and it turned out fine. It had mellowed significantly but was okay. What a find, my luck would be I would find some nasty no name dried out OTC.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You've hit the mother lode. Our tobacco gurus know, but I'd say 20 years old on average. I bet the pouches will have preserved the leaf okay; not ideal, but perfectly smokeable or better. The tins, no problem. Square tins are sometimes iffy, but again, I suspect no problem.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Very cool! I bet some 15 year old Scottish Mixture will be a nice smoke!

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Shoot pipestud a pm he will gladly help date them. He did several odds for me. It should rehydrate won't get 100% flavor back but will do so nicely. Great find.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Holy cow...an unopened tin of the original blend University Flake! That my friend is the jewel of the bunch there, imo.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Newer ones state in huge letters: "Smoking Kills", others that smoking seriously injures you and those around you. (not verbatim, but that's the gist).

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I'll try to help a little but afraid I can't help much.
Dunhill Std Mix Medium tin is between 1996 and 2005.
The University Flake is early 1990s. Warning stickers first began appearing in California in 1989 and around 1990-1991 slowly around the rest of the world.
The Mac Baren mixture is a toughie. No warning sticker - if purchased in the USA, indicates at least pre-1992.
Gonna have to cry UNCLE on the Ridgeback. Looks interesting enough to stuff into my pipe though!

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Thanks all for your thoughts! Pipestud, we bow in respect to your Baccy history knowledge!! :puffy:

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
That is really cool!! Its almost like finding a pirate chest! Have fun trying those out!

Status
Not open for further replies.