PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsongruber

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2015
Caracas, Venezuela
I just found in my dad's house an old tin of Amphora Mild Cavendish, probable around 20 years old, when my dad smoked pipes.
I immediately opened the tin and I have to say it smells great but I find the tobacco to be very dry, almost to the point that if you pinch it, the ribbons will break. My question is: do I have to moisten the tobacco a little bit just like I would do to a cigar?
Thanks in advance!
Here you have some pics of the old tin and the tobacco:
IMG_0887_zpsboaegsb8.jpg

IMG_0885_zpsgjbl0i5k.jpg

IMG_0884_zpshxjxi8tc.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Might be relevant:
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-tobacco/pipe-tobacco-rehydration/
My advice: rehydrate in small amounts at first and find your balance. Might do a test batch.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
A good way to give it a go is to place a wet (distilled water) towel over the tin and tobacco. Let it set over night and see if that does it. It might take a day or two but, it works.
Mike S.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Wow, that's great that you found one of your dad's old tins. It may seem silly to some, but if it was mine, the emotional attachment of smoking something from the same tin that I knew my dad had smoked from would be huge. Hope the experience provides you with a sense of connection.

nelsongruber

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2015
Caracas, Venezuela
Hey David, my dad and I think the same, he actually said to me that I have to smoke it with him once I rehydrate the tobacco. I think he is having second thoughts of moving from pipes to cigars I can tell you that...
I haven´t done the rehydration because I got some kind of virus that is messing my stomach up everything I eat. Hopefully tonight I´ll do the first batch with the towel over the tin method.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Yeah test it by squeezing a pinch of it with thumb and finger. If it sticks together after you release it it's a little too moist, for me at least. If it does stick together some it's ok you can jar it and then maybe air out a bowl at a time for a few minutes. You just don't want it too moist when you jar it up.

nelsongruber

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2015
Caracas, Venezuela
Ok, finally did my first batch, took a little more than expected (4 days) but now it´s where I think it should be, not to moist, not to dry.
I smoked one bowl of it and let me tell you it smoked amazingly well! I can´t wait to bring a bowl to my dad so he can have old memories back!

Status
Not open for further replies.