PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I recently tried 1792 Flake and Solani Silver Flake and found they both reminded me of ODF which I have not smoked in a year or so. I love this flavour but find the blends that have this leathery old time taste (my take on it) are not very easy to smoke, lots of relights and burning hot easily etc. The Solani Silver flake was the exception, that burned nicely. I did a quick look to see what they had in common and I guess its the dark fired kentucky and virginia combination that I am looking for. Do you have any suggestions of other blends (flake or not) that burn nicely and have this same make up? I am already eyeing up the irish flake, jack knife and bold kentucky.

cheers

Isaac

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
You might enjoy GL Pease Triple Play too. Solani Silver is a top 5 blend in my book.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Newminster No 403

IMG_20160403_105918570.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sixpence is a close flavor match to Solani Silver Flake, and a damn good smoke. :wink:

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
I enjoyed a bowl of 403 just last night. I agree, for me its more of a cool weather smoke. I have also learned after about 2 oz of the stuff that it needs to be sipped very slowly for the best flavor, it can get real bland when smoked hot. I have smoked a tin of Irish Flake and I find Newminster 403 very similar in taste, just doesn't have the nicotine punch that Irish Flake does.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
You said you were "eyeing" JackKnife Plug?
STOP eyeing it ... START smoking it! :D

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I am currently working my way through a 100g tin of Solani '660 Silver Flake' and am having trouble in detecting any dark fired leaf in there. All I am getting is a typical Virginia flavour.
Regards,
Jay.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Jay, I am still in the process of figuring out exactly where the taste comes from that I am after, I dont believe it is the kentucky by itself, but the combination with the virginia at least this has been the common theme...
Isaac

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Isaac, might I suggest trying it in different pipes? I have and each and every time it has tasted differently which I often find with Virginia blends in particular.
Had another bowl tonight yet still never tasted any dark fired leaf which suggests to me at least it is very low in quantity.
Regards,
Jay.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I guess these things are subjective, one mans leather is someone else's horse. I get this taste with kentucky cheroots too, so I am fairly confident that to chase my version of 'old timey leather taste' I am doing right to search blends that have the kentucky.
Isaac

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I just finished a tin of Irish Flake and to me it definitely had a leathery taste. It smells kind of leathery in the tin as well.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I am looking forward to cracking my tin of irish flake, but since it is waiting for me in my storage container on the other side of the world I might have to just buy another tin to crack in the meantime.
Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.