Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
All the guys off the shop floor just slam ciggs every break. I walked out of the engineering office, lit up a bowl of Frog Morton and began to walk to my car for lunch break. A guy stopped me and said "man you remind me of them ole timers with that pipe."
Thought I would share, felt pretty cool for a 25 year old! haha

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can tell your colleague that you have passed this through a panel of old timers who heartily approve.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
You should see faces of people at my work when I come out for smoke brake ( it is a federal building )

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Just let them know that wisdom can come at any age!
Enjoy life.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm hoping enough young people will venture into the gentle art of moderate pipe smoking so it doesn't look like a cultural statement or hipsterism (whatever that may be). Approved or disapproved, it won't be an incongruity of age. The singer/songwriter Tom Waits said he started doing a stage persona of an old bowry man when he was in his twenties because the old guys got to wear all the cool hats. Which was a prescient observation implying that age is not always a bad thing. Which is probably a note of sanity. I avoided pipes for cigars in college because I didn't want to appear to be imitating a professor. For young pipe people, I'd recommend a less dramatic pipe -- cobs are good -- and a casual attitude so it doesn't look like a performance. If you enjoy it, it won't require acting, and that helps. Women pipe smokers would also be image breakers that would redefine things. Women have and will find their own way to carry it off, for their own purposes and in their own style, and that's a good thing.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
At work we have a really cocky smart-mouth and the first time he saw me smoking my pipe he yelled "hey old man!". I walked up to the group, put on my ugliest face, and growled " ever had your ass kicked by an old man?". He got really pale, swallowed a few times, and squeaked out "no sir." while the rest of the guys laughed at him. The pipe has never been mentioned again. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.