PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
Ok, I'm looking for a help with removing tenons on a couple pipes. Does anyone know how to loosen up an old bone tenon that is very tight in the shank of an antique pipe bowl? I have both an old briar bowl and a meerschaum bowl both have an old bone tenons stuck in the shank. I have replacements and would like to remove them tenon so I can scrub the shank out and try to find a replacement stem. Does anyone know how to get them out without dmaging the shank or the threads?
Also, I have one other meer bowl, an old WDC that I picked up that has the end of file busted off in the shank. If anyone has any thoughts on that one, let me know. that one has me stumped. I can't get it to move in any direction, but I'd hate to just write it off.
Thanks

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I have seen you request help on the meer before guess you didn't try the freezer or a screw to help it out? Uncle Arther would know best but he hasn't been on in a while. Some of the other guys may have some ideas.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I'd be tempted to try an "easy out" extractor. Go to Sears web page. I would try the old fashioned, long, spiral tapered style.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
Tried em both. Freezer works well on vulcanite in bryar, but doesn't seem to do much for bone in meerschaum, as far as I can tell. Screw extractors work well in some cases, but these seem to be pretty well locked up with tar or some such.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm not real familiar with meers,but have seen a couple the have tenon glued into the shank and the stem has a mortise. Actually have a Meer here that a friend wants a new vulcanite stem fitted to.The one on it is some kind of cheap soft plastic, and it's bright yellow. It is made with the tenon(which is aluminum) glued into the shank.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I have put olive oil on the tenons where it meets the shank on a few estate pipes and let them sit for a little while. It worked like a penitrating oil and gave enough back and forth movement to work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.