PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
This post came to mind when Lawrence said that he used to work in one..We still have one here in town.In fact it's the oldest business in my town.It's been here for almost 115 years.The fella who owns it (Jack) says that he started working there after school when he was ten years old.When the origional owner retired Jack took over.Jack just turned 80.Inside the store he maintains a small museum of objects from past times.It looks like Jack's son plans to continue things after his father retires.I hope so.It's a really neat place.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
This is something the younger generation will have no clue about due to the megamarts......
Its a shame, I hope jack's son can keep it and make a living running it.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I have a lot of fond memories of the real honest to goodness hardware stores of yesteryear. I used to go an spend hours searching through the isles, admiring all sorts of "cool" gadgets, tools, knives, etc. If you find one, it is a good idea to spend some time looking. You never know what treasure you might find.

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Ditto....Our local hardware store "Williams Hardware", had old wood floors and all the displays and shelves were made from wood. Saved my money mowing yards and bought my first Case knife there as well as drooling after all the cool tools and guns.
What great memories........

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I would consider myself one of the younger generation. I love going to the old hardware stores. There was one where I went to college and I went their frequently instead of going to Lowes or Walmart. This one too had older tools, pocket knives, and old displays on, well, display lol.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya mate, we have an "Old Fashion General Store" here in Berwick. PPl don't seem to appreciate it, my wife included. I like to go in it because stuff is helter skelter all over the place. The floor creaks so bad when you walk over it, you sometimes think your going to fall through it. It has been in operation for over 100 yrs.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
We have a couple of the old time places around here. No matter what I need they seem to have it. They are remarkable places for wares and advice; whether you want it or not. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.