Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
About a year and a half ago I started getting alot of little bumps/ingrown hairs from shaving. I switched from my four blade, remove a layer of skin razor to a new "old school" safety razor. The kind where you unscrew the bottom it opens, and you put the blade in. No more problems with bumps, and it made me think what a lost art these were. I personally have no issues with them, cost me now $2.50 a YEAR in blades, and there is no landfill waste!!

All the money I am saving I spend on tobacco now though!

lordape

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2013
I had a similar problem so I switched to an electric razor and haven't had an issue since.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I hated the price of razor blades, so I took it a step further. For the last five years, I've shaved with a striaght razor. Believe it or not, like the drwatson's safety razor, it is much gentler on my face, and there is nothing to throw away. I switched to the straight razor to save money, but that was before I started collecting them as well...I guess its only money!

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I just started this year I went with the Merkur 34C HD Double-Edge Safety Razor. It took me a couple of shaves to get used to the smaller handle. I love it. Like beginners with tobacco I found it was best to buy a blade sampler as they differ. Merkur makes a nice razor but there blades are awful.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I went back to a safety razor (which is what I started with), after I finally ran out of cartridges for the old Wilkinson I got in college. Perfectly happy with it and some good blades.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
They intrigue me, I currently use an electric razor and some disposable 2 blade razors to mow down quickly any hair that is hard to quickly get with he electric, like neck hair and such. I will probably trade in the disposables with a safety one. If someone could point out some good ones for cheap?

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I've been using the Double edge safety razors for about a year. I love it. The best thing I've done for my face. No most bumps and I actually enjoy shaving now.

oldman

Lurker
Mar 23, 2013
This is some great advice...makes my blood boil when I need to buy new big brand razors. Definate future purchase!

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I asked and got a double edge razor last Christmas. An Edwin Jäger 89. Then for my birth day my mom got me a Gilette Super speed made in 1959. The E/J is a bit aggressive and the Gilette is more easy going. I got 100 Wilkinson Sword blades for $26 after trying different blades. I am set for quite a while! Witch hazel, an alum block and some old school Virgin Island Bay Rum after shave. I am set for old school grooming!

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
I have wanted to get a DE safety razor for a very long time I think they look great sitting on the counter and being in the military I got used to shaving with a soap and brush because in the winter it does not freeze.
Where do you guys buy the blades?

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I've been using one for about five years now. Got tired of paying thirty dollars for eight blades.

Jul 12, 2011
Great thread Gents. I went DE about 6 months ago and will never ever go back. I got all my gear from Amazon and they have great pricing on handles, brushes, shave soaps, after shave and blades...Now this isn't a switch in getting speed, if you desire to keep all your blood "inside" of you, take your time...watch videos & above all else "take your time"...don't skip steps...I can do a two-pass shave after 6-months of practice in about 5-minutes without issue.
Here is the list of gear that worked wonders for me;
Edwin Jagger De89lbl Double Edge Safety Razor Chrome Plated (I have tried many and found this one works best for me)

http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-De89lbl-Double-Safety/dp/B002RBF1PO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378170275&sr=8-1&keywords=edwin+jagger+safety+razor
Edwin Jagger 1ej947sds Traditional English Best Badger Hair Shaving Brush (spend the extra money on a good brush, don't screw around with cheaper ones, they won't do the job they are designed to do)

http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-1ej947sds-Traditional-English/dp/B002QI45Z0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378170389&sr=8-2&keywords=edwin+jagger+best+badger
Proraso Shaving Soap, Eucalyptus & Menthol, 5.2 oz ( Fantastic shave soap )

http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shaving-Eucalyptus-Menthol-Formulation/dp/B00837YY18/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378170504&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=proarso
Proraso Proraso Liquid Cream After-Shave 3.4oz

http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Liquid-Cream-After-Shave-3-4oz/dp/B0007XBHIE/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378170593&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=proarso+after+shave
100 Astra Superior Premium Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades ( I really enjoy these, great balance for "my face", my advice as "one" DE blade doesn't fit all faces is to get a sampler pack and be VERY careful with the Feather Double Edge Blades)

http://www.amazon.com/Astra-Superior-Premium-Platinum-Double/dp/B001QY8QXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378170819&sr=8-1&keywords=double+edge+safety+blades

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I started wet shaving a few years ago. I went this way because the new carts and electric make my neck break out so bad. I usually buy my blades at www.westcoastshaving.com. I have a Merkur 1904 and a Progress. I like the 1904 better as the progress is too much to fiddle with. I would point you to a blade sample pack. I like Astra's and Gillette & o'clocks.
I like www.mamabearssoaps.com a lot.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I switched a couple years ago. I use an old gilette fathoy slim, ever ready badger brush, old ceramic old spice mug, and shaving soaps. Cost me about $28 total initial investment, and it's great. Very happy.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.