PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
I found this neat model kit at a yard sale. Just a father and a son sharing some quality time ;]

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I remember my brother building that model when he was a kid. Shortly thereafter he brought home an engine from a MG Midget. Dad was impressed and Mom nearly passed out when she saw it on the kitchen table. Be careful what you start. :D

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
That brings back memories. When I was fifteen my Dad took me down to the local junk yard and I spent $40 of my lawn cutting money on a GM 305cu long block. We brought it home and I quickly tore into taking it apart. By the time the weekend was over I had it all apart right down to valve springs and lifters. I proudly told my Dad that it was all taken apart and he said great now put it back together. Of course I had no idea. So he made me load all the parts up in 6 quart apple baskets and took it back to the junk yard. The guy at the junk yard gave me $5.00 for the casting and disassembled parts and I shelled out $30 for a 305cu. We loaded up and took it home. This time I took pictures of everything with a polaroid and placed everything small in ziplock bags and wrote on everything. This time it took me three months but when I reassembled it, it ran. With a bit of help from my dad. Well that went into my first car a chevy nova. It was a huge sense of accomplishment. I went on to build three other small block race engines before enlisting into te Army. I'll never forget those quiet lessons my pipe smoking father gave to me. Thanks for the reminder of thos great times. The engine is now probably long gone, my Dad has been Dead now nearly 17 years but sometimes I can still hear him tell me..... Slow down, think about the problem....

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That's a great model KCPoe, I would have lasted 5 minutes before I got frustrated trying to put that together. Rob, that's a fantastic story, unfortunately I'm all thumbs and my Dad knew it. We had to find other ways to bond, so we did. I wish I had the ability to build something with my own hands, the sense of accomplishment I think would be huge!

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Very cool. I've never seen anything like that, but I have built some spretty awesome scale models before. Right now I'm trying to shrink a trebuchet down to 4 inches and still be functional.

Jan 8, 2013
That's a great story Piper. Great post. God knows how much I wish my father and I could have a close relationship. Although he's not on this earth anymore, remember those times and feel blessed.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is pretty cool. My dad and I built a lot of WWII plane models, but I always wanted that working V8. My dad had zero interest in cars, I learned that on my own.
My 8th grade science teacher had us do a whole semester on the internal combustion motor. He had a '70's Triumph TR6 that we got to view the motor, etc. I did a semester end report on Porsche and Porsche sent me a 1973 coffee table sized booklet on the new 911, the duckbill Carerrea had just been introduced. That semester definitely kicked started my love of cars and motorcycles. I still have the report and booklet. Fast forward 30 years and I'm at "meet the teacher" for my youngest daughter when she was in 8th grade. She has the same teacher, Mr. Gehr. I enthusiastically describe his class in 1973 and my project. He seems unimpressed and says about his TR6, "I sold it that summer, what a piece of junk". Bubble burst.....

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Remember the hard cover projects book, The Boy Mechanic? And how every kid had a copy of that monstrusly thick paperback, The World Almanac and The Old Farmer's Almanac in his pocket.
And yeah, wearing a pair of combat boots was also popular, followed by white bucks and saddle shoes - twice.

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
Here is another picture of it...note the saying in the lower right hand corner. Great advice for both model kits and pipe smoking ;]

Status
Not open for further replies.