PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hello Pipe Nerds (hopefully Peterson ones),
Just looking for a little confirmation/information here. I won an auction a while back for an old K&P Peterson pipe that I had some trouble Identifying at first. I figured I'd toss a lowball bid at it and find out later, and ended up winning it for quite cheap (less than any new peterson). After the thread on ssjones shape 56 mystery, it looks like this 208 shape may have come from the same line of pipes Peterson made for a specific Canadian importer. The picture of their catalog in that thread is the only image of a 208 shape I can find anywhere. In looking at the Pipedia Peterson dating guide, it seems to me that this pipe would date to 1945-47 (circular made in ireland stamp on the shank). Can anyone confirm this for me?
And secondly, does anyone have any knowledge regarding this shape or the particular line of Canadian Peterson pipes? Is/Was there ever a shape that corresponds to this 208 produced in their regular line, similar to how ssjones shape 56 was much like his favorite 9BC pipes?
Thirdly, would the same dating guide apply to this canadian importer line of pipes? Are they generally of the same quality as the normal Peterson lines of that period?
Any info helps! Thanks!
Frank
old-pete-1-600x276.jpg

old-pete-2-204x600.jpg

old-pete-3-600x425.jpg

gtc_catalog_1969-2.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Is/Was there ever a shape that corresponds to this 208 produced in their regular line, similar to how ssjones shape 56 was much like his favorite 9BC pipes?
Looking at the 1939 catalog, it looks like shape 689.
http://www.petersonpipenotes.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/1939-Peterson-Rogers-Catalog-petersonpipenotes.pdf
Thirdly, would the same dating guide apply to this canadian importer line of pipes? Are they generally of the same quality as the normal Peterson lines of that period?
To the first, I would think so and to the second I would think them the same quality as other Peterson's from the period. What, they're going to shortchange the Canadians?!?
:)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Can you clean up the band? Perhaps there's a hallmark there? Betting no, as US bound pipes didn't seem to have them.

Guessing the Canadians also got shortchanged on the date hallmarks. Suddenly, there's a rash of these Canadian pipes!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That 689 shape does look very similar minus the silver mount. Now to see what I can find out about those....
Can you clean up the band? Perhaps there's a hallmark there? Betting no, as US bound pipes didn't seem to have them.

Guessing the Canadians also got shortchanged on the date hallmarks. Suddenly, there's a rash of these Canadian pipes!
I am planning on it. I shipped it to the office and it just arrived today. I don't see any sign of a hallmark, and the other imprints in the silver band are very clear, but I'll be cleaning up the band either way so we'll see.
Not sure why all these canadian ones are showing up. This one came from a goodwill seller, they said it was part of an estate donation. Apparently many of the pipes in the pile had dates CARVED INTO THE SHANK!!!!! Fortunately this one did not! And is in very good shape other than a few small dings and that little tarnish on the band. Although, I did see a great looking pre-transition ye olde wood barling from the same seller that sure enough had a 1960 carved on the shank that looked like someone had done it with a paper clip.......UGH! Thankful they spared the Pete for me!
s-l500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.