Old meers are still what they used to be!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
On an old Meerschaum kick lately, these two have been paid for and one more being watched.

banjo
7ff15b4851e02fd56abcba352da8120964418ac.jpeg

fa625d94b35e2e572fcd209fcd8cd14ca5a5a22.jpeg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I was watching that second one (not bidding, though). Talk about turn-of-the-century bling! Very nice -- hope it smokes well for you.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I haven't seen a Meer that dark (top one) - is that what's supposed to happen when you smoke one for a long time?

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
jacks6,

To some degree, I seriously believe that may have had assistance when made either by being fumed or another process since it is so even but I liked the look. Cheers.

banjo

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
condorlover1, would I be correct in assuming it was rhe cased cutty you speak off? Had not seen it prior to this listing and in all honesty never belied I'd win either let alone both.

banjo

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Looks like a couple of nice meerschaums.
The old meerschaums from the 1800's typically were pre-colored, can't recall the name/process, but you can recognize most by that vibrant red color. As those pipes were smoked the pipe would darken to the dark red color that you see in the first pipe pictured. How much your meerschaum pipe was colored was a status symbol, so some of the more prominent people would have other people smoke their pipes to help the pipe color faster. Old meerschaums can be great smoking pipes. Some meerschaum experts say that you can never fully color a meerschaum pipe in your lifetime, so enjoy the process and the challenge.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
That's really interesting. Thanks for answering my question guys - I love learning more about the history. Beautiful pipes Banjo!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Coyote, how did you go about cutting the thread of the bowl you made for your Falcon? I assume you used a lathe unless you went the difficult route of doing it with files.
Regards,
Jay.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Great old Meer Fish! Both are beauties and nice to see that Simon doesn't get every cutty! lol I have an old girl getting fitted with a new stem as we speak and looking forward to have it in my rotation of meers.

Status
Not open for further replies.