PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
My wife and I on one of our day trips, stopped at a trash shop (recycled stuff). There an old gent was working, each time he would walk outside, out of his pocket this pipe would come up for air also. When I was close enough to talk, I saw his pipe. One large crack running from the rim to the bottom of the bowl. I mean a crack, I could have stuck a penny edgewise into the top of that canyon. He told me that he has gone through a few pipes and this is the best smoker he has ever owned. Our next trip there, in a couple weeks, I will be carrying my camera (carry that darn camera everywhere and the day I leave it - I need it) and a goodie bag for this old gent. I need a photo of this man and pipe!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That should be a great picture!
The JB Hayes shop in VA has a customer who has one pipe - he bought it new in the 70's and smokes it every day. He goes through a pound of JB Hayes aromatic blend a month. His pipe was a "The Pipe", made out of aerospace (at the time) plastic. It looks like he used it to stir driveway sealer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For most men who smoked a pipe, for most of history, one pipe was standard.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I know a few older gents in my area with 1 pipe and 1 blend = happiness.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
This, we gotta see. :D
This sounds like proper left-brain pipe use to me. No molly coddling, attachment forming, superfluous right hemisphere involvement, just whack something smokeable in it, and smoke it till you can't smoke it anymore. :worship:
:twisted:

Reactions: Idahojoe

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Later today I'm calling the store where the cracked bowl owner works to try and set up a photo shoot. I will be offering some trade material for a model release.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
My phone is my camera.
I also would love to see some pictures of the most "rugged" still in use pipes folks own.
Kind of a "rat pipe" thread...

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have a friend who smokes only one cheap pipe, every single day, almost every hour. He smokes only Aromatics, Captain Black Gold mostly and he inhales. I will take a picture and post it here.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016

Photos of my Grandparents, top photo pipe is wired together. The bowl has worn down to half the height, then it cracked. Grandfather cut a groove around the bowl, wrapped a piece of wire around it and anchored to the stem.

Second photo is the pipe I gave Grandfather. Only when his original pipe fell apart did he smoke this one. Name is so faded and worn down I can't see the letters. I have that old pipe in my collection. These two pipes are the only ones I have known him to smoke.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
@ssjones -- two photos of the same Grandparents, taken about 20 years apart. Sorry I did not make myself clear.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I could tell it was the same grandfather by the pants haha. I do like to see clothing being used right to the end! My leather belt which has given me 12 years of service as the only belt I owned before tearing in half got fixed yesterday. I punched small holes on both edges and used sinew to bind it back together, here's to another 12 years of keeping my pants on!
Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.