PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannonh

Lurker
Mar 10, 2010
Twin Cities
Wow,

So I read here and at other review sites that folks find C&D Old Joe Krantz to be strong. This, to me, is pretty amusing, as I go to Joe when I just need to kick back and smoke without a care. Now, Night Train could be called strong....
What's your take?

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
I find the nicotine content of OJK to be very high. As a few other have written here, strong could mean a few different things. I guess, I don't find it "strong" to smoke but strong in nicotine. That's my take on OJK.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I smoked a couple of ounces of OJK last year, and I thought it had a robust Burley flavor backed by a load of Perique and minimal sweet leaf. For me it approached being oppressive. I got through it, but I grew a couple of chest hairs in the process. I think Haunted Bookshop is pretty much the same formula but toned down a bit -- and I love it. Maybe I should re-visit OJK to see how I've changed. I don't know if it was the nicotine or the Perique, or both, that wore me out.

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
Cortezattic, I read an article(can't remember where) about OJK and Haunted Bookshop. They are both blended by Bob Runowski. You are correct. Both are very similiar to each other. With OJK being the stronger of the two.

shannonh

Lurker
Mar 10, 2010
Twin Cities
I ask because I never thought of my self as able to smoke "strong" blends, but this leads me to think differently. I guess I never found OJK that strong, just really "tobaccoey"
Peace

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Now I an going to have to add some OJK to my next order just to see HOW strong it is! I haven't run across a real butt kicker since they quit making Plow Boy .

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
Arthur, I don't think you will find it overpowering. It has a nice full bodied taste. I can't buy enough of it. I would say its my favorite.

wsblevins

Lurker
Mar 25, 2010
While OJK is certainly high in nicotine content, I have a high tolerance for it, so I don't find it too unnerving. A decent smoke. Not my favorite, but good.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I just tried some Old Joe Krantz. 8O My brain don't worked so good right now.....and I love it. That is a nice nicotine wallop; not the worst, but for as light/smooth the smoke is it definitely can sneak up on you.
I have not had Peterson's perfect plug to compare to. I would say that this is higher than C and D Billy Budd, but not as high as a Dark Flake.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
My take is, that everyone is different and each person's definition of strong tobacco is relative. Sure there are constants, like blends that contain burley are usually going to have more nicotine than than say a oriental blend.
I tried OJK, and found it stout in the nic department, but I didn't really find it tasted all that great. It smells horrible in the bag(like old gym socks.) I like the stronger blends, but I also like them to taste good too. I don't like high nicotine just for the sake of it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I agree -- burley blends often smell like old gym socks. Just the same, I love burley.
As for OJK in particular, while many smokers find it stronger than Haunted Bookshop, for example, for me it's just the opposite. Without doubt, there's plenty of nicotine in most of the C&D burley blends, but it seems that individual body chemistry significantly affects the uptake of that nicotine for a particular smoker.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd say full-flavored. I don't experience it as a nicotine kick, although I guess there is some.

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
I think, of the three, OJK is the strongest, but also sweeter than Haunted Bookshop. I'm just getting to know Night Train, but it feels like a smoother, darker OJK. All in all, OJK is a respectably strong blend. I've built up a pretty stout nicotine resistance (read: addiction hahaha), so it's become a mainstay smoke for me. I've always considered Three Friars to be a member of this family, albeit a far more mellow, Va forward one.

Status
Not open for further replies.