PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
I was fortunate enough to receive a sample of C&D Old Grove from tedsweringen when it was released in May, and after a couple month hiatus from smoking, today I have smoked this nice tobacco and would like to share my thoughts of it.
Old Grove is said to be an aromatic tobacco. Ted wrote in his opinion that the topping offered a sweet complement of pomegranate to the smoking experience. Now my smoking pallet is not very sophisticated, but I will agree, there is a very light hint of a sweet flavor, but I find it much more in the tin note than in the smoking. That said, the smoking flavor is very pleasant,and immediately I knew what my impression of it is. In fact, I can offer a recommendation of a good spirit to accompany this tobacco. Just last night I opened a bottle of Lagavulin 12 year old Cask Strength Islay Scotch. Lagavulin 12 immediately hits me with a sweet honey taste that complements a strong smokey peat body. What a nice drink. While Old Grove for me does not offer such a distinctive sweet taste, the sweetness is there, and the flavor is very much of this smokey peat bomb scotch. An experience very much like relaxing by an enjoyable campfire.
When I opened my sample I found the tobacco a little dryer than I am used to, and I tend to pack my pipes on the loose side, so Old Grove lit easily for me and burned through to the bottom of the bowl. I smoked it in my Mountbatten Pot. I believe the shape number is 835 on this Charatan made pipe. It has a wide, surprisingly deep bowl, and is just a bit more than 5" long. Old Grove wanted to burn hot and bite me, but I was able to easily tame it by gently sipping the tobacco. In the end I did not experience tongue bite, but I think a smaller bowled pipe with a longer stem would better fit this blend.
It also packed a good nicotine hit. I am a nic wimp, so your results may vary, but for me, it was not too overwhelming, but it definitely gave me a kick. This is another indicator pointing towards a smaller bowled pipe.
All in all, Old Grove is a nice tobacco. I would not smoke it a lot, but I would recommend it and look forward to having it every so often when the mood comes to me. Perhaps with a nice glass of Lagavulin 12.
Cheers

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I tried a sample and found it to irritate my mouth more so than any other tobacco I've ever smoked. I didn't get tongue bite but my larynx and throat did swell after smoking it. The only other time I've encountered that was when I smoked the sister sample, bourbon blue. I can smoke Golden VA's all day and not get bite or overly irritated. I've smoked other tobaccos from c&d without adverse effect but never anything with a strong topping.

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
I actually have that same problem occasionally with heavy Latakia blend when they're too dry. It's not bite, per se, just a sort of rough feeling in my mouth and throat. It's entirely possible it's just a matter of body chemistry. I smoke Old Grove when I'm in the mood for something sweet, but still strongly tobacco flavored.

Status
Not open for further replies.