PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
For some reason. I have never, until today, wondered who was the old grandad of bourbon fame. This senior can no longer drink the rough whiskies, but it was my first regular college brand, along with Smirnoff, which, as the unsmelly drink, was good for drinking in class. His name was Basil Hayden, a distiller from c 1840. I celebrate Basil with all those unappreciated Americans of the past, such as Laben Deardorff.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I've never tried Ole Grand-dad, but the "small batch" called Basil Hayden is my bourbon of choice. I buy a birthday and a New Year's bottle every year.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
I've hung out with gramps in the past, but IMHO Evan Williams is far more drinkable for about the same price. Takes me back though. :mrgreen:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It's been a long time since I visited my dear old Grand Dad ... makes me think of these lyrics:
My whole family done give up on me

And it makes me feel oh so bad

The only one who will hang out with me

Is my dear Old Grand-Dad

- George Thorogood

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Great piece of history. I got food poisoning once from some bourbon salmon, haven't been able to even smell bourbon anymore without getting a gag reflex.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Hell I still drink Old Grandad! For the price you can't beat it, I like some better whiskey's for special occasions, but for my day to day enjoyment I usually have Old Grandad on hand.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have been a bourbon drinker since UVA days in the early 70s. MY bourbon of choice, having had my time with Old Grand Dad, is George Dickel 12 year bourbon. A bit pricey but worth the money. Oh, yeh, also good with a pipe of tobacco...

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Foggy:
Thank you for that historical nugget.
Drank OG bottled in bond during my college years for the 100 proof kick. Two blasts under my belt and I was charming, witty and maybe even just a little bit urbane for a SW Missouri hick.
Picked up a bottle the other night and it brought back a flood of memories: I was a broke-ass college grad who turned 22 at Harry's New York Bar in Paris so many years ago. I nursed a pour of Old Forester for over a half hour, having that Hemingway moment. A sweet, older Yank couple sat down beside me and we visited for a bit before I told them it was my birthday. I couldn't afford another round but they insisted that I have one on them. I told them I couldn't reciprocate and they said, "You will, someday."
I've been trying to pay it forward ever since.
Thanks for the reminder, Foggy.
Fnord

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
Back in the day old Basil may have just been someone's grandpa, but today he is top shelf.
http://www.basilhaydens.com/basil-haydens/

Aug 14, 2012
Orley: Great to hear you are a Deardorff fan. I had many Deardorffs in my camera store, some of which I restored a little. My favorite was Deardorff serial number 6000, which I used for several years before selling it because the offer was too good to refuse. I ended up with an Ebony SV10UE, more rigid, tougher, more precise.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I do not recall ever drinking any Old Grand-Dad but I was tempted to pick up a fifth this past Wednesday when the PA state store was out of my prferred cheap bourbon - Ezra Brooks 90 Proof. Instead I opted for a bottle of Rebel Yell. This is my first taste of Rebel Yell since 1968 at college in Lexington VA where one had to demonstrate one's qualifications to be a southern gentleman by imbibing copious quantities of Rebel Yell. One bottle was enough for me then; I went back to scotch.

47 years later I found it to be a lot smoother than I did "back when". In fact I think I'll pack a bowl of Bailey's Front Porch and pour two fingers for an afternoon snack. YEEHAH!

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Not sure who he is either but in 1980 a buddy of mine (owned a liquor store) gave me a bottle of Special Edition Old Grand Dad. I was going to open it when I was 21 (in 1981), then decided to wait till I graduated from college, then when I got married, then when I was 40, then 50. I still have it. Now I'm thinking I might open it when I retire in 6 years. I wonder if it's bad? It'll be about 50-55 years old by then.. :wink:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
JBD:
I don't think it'll be bad but it will certainly be different. The cork will probably have deteriorated somewhat and I'm sure there will have been some evaporation. Unlike wine, our favorite darker beverages don't age in the bottle so what you taste when opened might be a far cry from what the distiller planned. But, at the same time, the emotion(s) of toting a bottle of premium hootch around for 37 years and then opening might outweigh - indeed, far outweigh - said distiller's intentions.
Come what may, it'll still be a great day, JBD.
Fnord

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Jitterbug, it'll be good. You should have seen some evaporation over time.
Never had the Ole Grand Dad.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Jitterbugdude,

Before you finish the old bottle, you should go out and purchase a new bottle to compare them and see how the whisky has changed from the 1980 batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.