Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Nice! This reminds me of HOTW, but with more rounded edges, a darker feeling, less sweet. This is a wonderfully balanced VA mixture. I feel each component stands well shoulder to shoulder, but also yields the stage for another when needed. Fermented grassiness/hay, some burned sugar, hint of burning pine. The smoke volume was perfect and smoke rings were aplenty :). I'm usually attracted to English/Balkans, but always on the look out for a change of pace VA, VAPER or VABUR...This is one to keep in mind for sure!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah I've got a half pound aging, I tried a sample and liked it so much I got a half pound. It's pricey in bulk though

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Awesome I just found the recipe, I always thought this was a pure Va blend, whereas tobacco reviews and luxury reviews both have it listed as Va, kentucky and perique.
rattraysbooklet_page_22.jpg

• Love
Reactions: TheWhale13

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The website of Kohlhase & Kopp, who currently produce Rattray's blends, claims:
  • Erlesener, dunkler Virginia, Kentucky und ein Hauch Perique reifen in der Presse bis zu 3 Monate, werden dann geschnitten und von Hand zerrieben.
Which Google Translate to:
  • Exquisite, dark Virginia, Kentucky and a touch of Perique mature in the press up to 3 months, then cut and hand-rubbed.

So, who should we believe: Charles Rattray, who is dead; or the people who actually produce the product?

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
:) No problem...most of these reviews are from my TR.com account. I have 75 reviewed there over the last year or so.

dixcreek

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
GOOD Stuff no matter what, smoke in at least once a week if not more often. Can be a little pricey but then Booze, loose women or pipe tobacco. You got to choose !!!

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Best price EVER!
https://www.jrcigars.com/item/imported-pipe-tobacco/rattray/old-gowrie/11rrog

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I have Old Gowie in my current rotation. I smoke it straight but every now and then, I mix in a little Ga-Hog Best Brown.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In prehistory when I took up the pipe the Rattrays big four, including Old Gowrie, were all said to be straight VA; well, maybe not Marlin Flake, which was exotic even then. About 2005 this changed, as then they began listing Perique. But this KY in OG is a new one on me. Now they could be called straight VA with condimental Perique and KY.
I still haven't smoked OG or Brown Clunee. HOTW I pick up occasionally, though I like it very much.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Wait a sec...I must have missed that post...there is Kentucky in there? Hmmm...wow, must not be much. I agree this does not have the biggest nic punch and definitely not the strength that HOTW has...must be a kiss of KY...and I could not really perceive the perique. Interesting.

Dec 24, 2012
I have a tin of OG open now and have been smoking it off and on for the last couple of weeks. I can detect no Kentucky or perique either, and I truthfully suspect that there is none.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I just went to JR Cigars for the first time. They use the same picture and an identical generic description for all the Rattray blends. They had a $5 coupon for first time buyers, so I grabbed five tins of Old Gowrie. It sounds like there will be no Zing in this blend.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
For sure it do have Kentucky and Perique. The light hand of the blender is appreciated and that subtle touch is what makes OG so awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.