PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I realize that this thread will probably provoke some strong responses, but I just gotta ask - why do so many of you stick with "old fogy lighters" (being an old fogy myself, I don't consider that necessarily a derogatory term)when there are so many better, cheaper, more efficient models available?
I mean, come on, flints? Those became obsolete years ago. Why pay $100 or more for a Peterson or Old Boy that won't light if there's a butterfly flitting around within a mile, why carry a separate pipe tool when you can have it all built in to your lighter?
My primary lighter is a Xikar Resource: around $40, built like a tank, lifetime guarantee, carries a large reservoir of butane, and has all pipe tools built in. No trouble lighting in the wind, extremely reliable. My only minor criticism is that the scoop tool is a bit more pointy and sharp than I'd like.
My secondary is a Lacardo JetLine Soft Flame that PipesandCigars.com has on sale for $17.99. Less than 18 bucks for another reliable, no-flint, butane lighter with built-in pipe tools!
C'mon guys, it's the 21st century - let's continue to enjoy our treasured pipes from years past, our traditional tobaccos, our enduring hobby with its rich traditions, but when it comes to lighting up - I'll take efficiency over tradition!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have the Xikar Pipeline that I just bought a few days ago, there's just something about the look to me that is similar to holding a pipe. I mean if I was looking for an easy way to smoke quality tobacco I'd smoke cigars, it may be dumb but I like the look of the offer,discount boy style.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Easy; I bought mine because my brother said I looked like a stoner when I had my bic hanging over the bowl sideways. That really irked me so my methodology is two pronged; firstly a side flame not a top flame and secondly what stoner spends over two bucks on a lighter. I guess I could also add it's really pretty. :D

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
hehe, I love the look of the Old Boy, but can't afford it. I've been using a Colibri lighter with built-in tamper, quartz ignition, soft flame and really like it. No troubles with it for the past 8 mos of ownership, cost about $40.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Haha. I've got a drawer full of broken Old Boys that leak something awful, a Tsubota Bolbo with a broken column (only lasted a year!?!), and even a couple of old rusty zippos. I use Bics now. Buy em by the dozen in all sorts of colors. Never had one fail me. Unless they're out of gas. That's why I stagger them, and always have at least two within reach.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
Good luck on that Lacardo. If it lasts three months your'e lucky.

Dec 24, 2012
I really would like to take the time to explain why I like Old Boys, but I need to go yell at those damn kids that are on my lawn . . .

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"Good luck on that Lacardo. If it lasts three months your'e lucky."
Had it since January -- still going strong...so far.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Zippo pipe lighter all the way. Have a beautiful Old Boy that my wife gave me. It's a classy indoor lighter, and if we ever go somewhere other than camping, I just might use it.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Haha. I've got a drawer full of broken Old Boys that leak something awful, a Tsubota Bolbo with a broken column (only lasted a year!?!), and even a couple of old rusty zippos. I use Bics now. Buy em by the dozen in all sorts of colors. Never had one fail me. Unless they're out of gas. That's why I stagger them, and always have at least two within reach.
I'll be glad to take them off your hands..

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
why do so many of you stick with "old fogy lighters" (being an old fogy myself, I don't consider that necessarily a derogatory term)when there are so many better, cheaper, more efficient models available?

There is certainly no shortage of cheaper lighters available.

Are they more efficient? Not in my experience.

Are they better? Not in my opinion.
I bought a Resource about 4 years ago. It took 8 to 10 strikes to get a flame so I sent it back for a replacement. The second one lasted less than a month before it started doing the same thing. The THIRD one still works. Most of the time..... Every six months or so it gets temperamental and stops working. I purge it, throw it in the drawer and it usually works OK after a week or two. Not my idea of high efficiency.
If you want a good piezo-electric lighter, look at the Corona Pipemaster. I have one that's around 30 years old and still going strong. If you believe that your Xikar or Lacardo will still be working in 30 years you're a far more optimistic person than I.
For a cheap, dependable lighter it's hard to beat a Djeep. They're fully adjustable and have about three times the butane of a Bic.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I use disposable DJeep lighters, get em for a couple bucks online and they last a long time and have a larger wheel and more fluid than a Bic. That and my 50 cent pipe tool and I'm set.

Just wish DJeep still made the disposable pipe lighter they used too.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"If you want a good piezo-electric lighter, look at the Corona Pipemaster. I have one that's around 30 years old and still going strong."
That's funny -- I threw out my Corona Pipemaster and bought the Xikar because it was doing exactly what your Xikar was doing.
Maybe we live in quantum-entangled parallel universes?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Matches and Bic lighters for me. A zippo is like a ball of fire, and the fluid stains the bowl rims. I had a Colibri's that worked once, and after that, I had to readjust the flint every time to get it to light. I had an Eternity lighter that broke at the button after 5 months of episodic use. The best pipe lighter I ever had was a cheap lighter with a flex stem and a built in flashlight that I imagine was targeted to the green team. Now I wouldn't mind having a Nimrod like my old Scoutmaster had, but I imagine they had their problems too, or that design would still be around.

Status
Not open for further replies.