Old estate Savory's and Commadore before and after George D.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
In a flea market I found two Savory's and one Commodore estates that were beat up. But I decided to clean them up, alcohol treat, restain, and send them to George Dibos for new stems. The previous owner may have been a rabid beaver, the stems were destoyed. He performed some magic and all I can say is wow! Check the pics, they are when I packaged them and then the picture George sent to me today. He also buffed them and I almost did not recognize them lol.
Old Savory's black before:

img_20150921_225706-600x337.jpg

Old Savory's brown before:

img_20150921_224330802_hdr-600x337.jpg

Old Commadore before:

img_20150921_224353939-600x337.jpg

All three after George squared them away!

bobek-3-restems-600x398.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Pipes look real good now! Somebody was gnawing the crap out of those stems. 8O

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
They each look great! Savory's are good smoking pipes. George, I like the new Commodore stem much more than the "wasp waisted" style of the original.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Thank you my brothers of Briar!! dave g the Commadore has a spot waiting and do not fret, it will be loved! If I ever decide to thin it out of the herd though, your first on the list my friend! :puffy:
I am still amazed at Georges work!! I really almost did not recognize my pipes. George is an artist!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Congratulations, Fordm60 on the finds. Great saves George :worship:
There is another thread working right now about how a pipe can help you with depression etc. Bits like this bare testimony to that or really bad dentistry or both.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks, all. :D
For anyone who might be wondering but was too polite to mention it, :lol: the band fit on the Dublin is indeed a bit wonky.
Why it had to be done that way is because the one which preceded it was a repair band, not a factory one, and whoever had put it on didn't use the right size. He (apparently) only had one that was too small in diameter for the pipe. So, to get it to fit he ground down the last half inch of the shank until it it was small enough to receive the band, which created a step in the wood. A step that made a second, wider band impossible to fit unless the "step line" was extended (and which becomes more noticeable the wider the band because the shank is tapered).
The reason a second band was necessary is because, after all that, the first one had been too narrow/short to properly fix the crack, which extended about 60% of the distance to the bowl and opened noticeably when the stem was inserted. In short, air leakage, oozing tar, etc would soon make the pipe one that wouldn't be reached for often unless it was both sealed back up and strengthened.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
No ear cutting. :lol:
Unfortunately, there just wasn't a better way to handle the situation. Reducing the diameter of the rest of the shank would have necessitated re-contouring the heel of the pipe as well, and it wasn't thick enough to lose any wood without creating another potential problem.
Repair work often has "lesser of evils" choices. This was one of those times.

Status
Not open for further replies.