Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I'm pleased to announce that we have a new sponsor for January 2014.
Some of our corn cob fans may already be familiar with them. They have some pretty unique pipes.
Check them out -

http://www.olddominionpipe.com/

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Good news! Thanks for their sponsorship.

And yet another reason to visit the Eastern Shore other than salt water fishing. Must shop before next spring though...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't seen a natural stem on a corn cob pipe since I was a child. And that

was "a long long time ago." I may have to nest one of these in my pipe rack.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. My brother and I are co-owners of Old Dominion Pipe Co. We are pleased to be a new sponsor of Pipes Magazine this month. While we are a relatively new corn cob pipe manufacturer, we specialize in researching and reviving historic, bamboo-stem corn cob pipes from the mid-1800s up through the World War I era. All of our cob pipe bowls are individually handcrafted from an heirloom Indian corn that has been grown on the Eastern Shore of Virginia since the 1870s and can be traced back to the "Bloody Butcher" variety that has been grown in Virginia since the 1840s. Our goal is to provide our customers with a quality, one-of-a-kind corn cob pipe that also allows them to enjoy the nostalgia and pleasure of smoking a pipe enjoyed by our forefathers from over 100 years ago! We welcome your feedback on our pipes and I can assure you that we place customer service as our highest priority.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Here is a link to an image taken of the inside of one of our pipes on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=585120204895220&set=a.573214322752475.1073741827.573198222754085&type=1&theater
Due to the size of our heirloom Indian corn cobs, our chambers run on the smaller size with our "Virginia Planter" being bored out to 5/8" dia. and our "Laughing King" bored out to 9/16" dia. However, we've found that even our Laughing King with its slightly smaller chamber still smokes extremely well and is definitely a cool smoker.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
OK, I just pulled the trigger on one each of their pipes, and I'll let you know how they smoke when they arrive. I also sent them a note expressing appreciation to them for being a sponsor of this site, so I would recommend that if you do order from them, you let them know that you saw them here.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
How does this sound: I placed an order this morning, and 2 hours later Bob Savage sent me an email telling me the order is enroute and giving me the tracking number. Now that's service! Let's see how long it takes for some pipes to make it from Virginia to Connecticut, minus time off for New Year's Day.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Just wanted to take a moment and thank all the forum members who purchased corn cob pipes from us since we became a sponsor on Pipes Magazine. We were able to process all of our morning orders and get them shipped out today. Our afternoon orders have been processed and will ship out Thursday morning.
We do stand behind our pipes and we have updated our "Contact Us" page on our website to reflect our product guarantee. We take pride in each and every pipe we manufacture and we personally inspect them for quality assurance purposes before shipping them out to our customers. However, should you ever receive a pipe from us that for any reason is found to be defective in any way, we will be happy to replace it free of charge, no questions asked.
We welcome your feedback and it is our sincere hope that you will enjoy smoking our pipes as much as we have enjoyed making them.
From our family to yours, we wish you all a Very Happy New Year.
Sincerely,
Bob Savage

Old Dominion Pipe Co.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I just purchased one of each.
Besides being a pipe smoker, I am also a Cowboy Action Shooter, Zekest Crowe SASS #94052, this will be a great addition to my cowboy attire, and will generate interest with the other competitors at my matches!
Thank you Old Dominion Pipe Co. and Kevin.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/5272/dscn0262-600x450.jpg
they look pretty similar to the cobs that I make.. Very cool. will have to buy some from these guys

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
OK--as noted, this company appeared on Tuesday and I ordered immediately. Wednesday was a holiday, so no mail. This morning, my pipes arrived. Now I call that pretty good service.

As to the pipes: I'm smoking one of them now. What can you say about a corn cob pipe? Well, the draw is wide open, it's an easy smoker--the full flavor of the tobacco comes through, and since it's a cob, there's no break-in. but the smoke is sweet and pleasant. all in all I'd say I ended up with a pretty decent pipe, and I'd recommend this outfit to anyone--for the caliber of their service, and the quality of their pipes.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
ravkesef,
I'm glad to hear that you liked the pipes and we certainly appreciate your sincere recommendation.
We didn't get the snow down here in Virginia that you folks got up in New England but it's been a bitter cold day none the less. I was sitting at my desk this afternoon trying to stay warm and found a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh hiding under a stack of papers that I forgot I had. Still have a soft spot for old Sir Walter Raleigh as it was the brand that I fondly remember two of my uncles religiously smoking back in the '70s. It was getting a tad dry but I lit some up in one of my Virginia Planter cob pipes and it made for a rather enjoyable trip back down memory lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.