PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I've been toying with the idea of making a basic pipe tamper out of some of our smaller heirloom Indian corn cobs. Today I was piddling in the shop and decided to try and make a tamper or two. Below is a pic of the prototypes that I came up with. The tampers are turned and sanded down by hand and sized to fit a 5/8" or larger bowl. These are approximately 2-1/2" in length but I'm thinking I might make these a little longer, perhaps 3" - 3.25".
These little basic tampers are incredibly strong and durable (I tried to see if I could break one in my hands but wasn't able to do so). Since there's no metal parts, they won't scratch or damage your pipes not chip your seasoned cake layer in the bowl.
I was wondering what you folks think about these and do you think there would be any interest in us offering these as a new product line to add with our current cob pipe line? Since we'd be handcrafting these, I figure we'd have to get around $2 retail per tamper to make them worth our while.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Hey Pat,
Unfortunately we weren't able to register in time for Chicago for this year. Hopefully, we'll be able to get there next year. Hope you guys have a great time! We are planning to attend the CORPS Pipe Show in Richmond in October and we're seriously considering the West Coast Pipe Show in Vegas in Nov.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
How cool! I wouldn't mind giving those things a try, interesting idea.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Are they smooth to the touch or rough? As a woodturner, I have certainly seen writing pens made out of corncobs, but there is a lot of work / superglue involved in making them silky smooth to the touch. That would certainly increase the cost of production. I tried making a tamper out of corncob, but I could not get it to work to my satisfaction.
I have found that a tamper has primary function of tamping ash down. But many pipers also want a tool to remove ash, like the end of a pipe nail. I don't see how a corn cob can fulfill that secondary function.
Winton

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Winton,
For cobs, they are very smooth after sanding (smoother than a natural cob pipe), but you still have that slight natural cob bristly feel to them, although to me it's not an unpleasant feel. We could lacquer coat them to get them glass smooth, but as you said that would add production cost.
It would only serve as a tamper which would limit its market compared to a 3 in 1 tool. However, I have seen a number of custom tamper only models on the market so that's why I'm testing the waters.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I would buy one if i was already buying one of your pipes online, probably the case for a number of folk out there??

i have been meaning to buy one of your cobs anyway, so when i do i will look out for the tamp! for my opinion, i would prefer it if it was unfinished, just seems natural that way rather than lacquered.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
Silly question perhaps, but are there cobs of Indian corn (the colorful ones) that are small enough to leave the dried kernels attached? Or would it become popped corn when you used it as a tamper?

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
ranger,
Believe it or not, these cobs actually have full size kernels on them when they're harvested, and after shelling, the cobs themselves start out approx. 5/8" - 3/4" in dia. before we turn and sand them down. I could see a couple difficulties with trying to leave the kernels on them (whether our heirloom variety or another Indian corn variety). First, with the kernels in tact they would simply be way too thick to fit even in some of the larger sized bowl chambers. Second, over time as the kernels dried and aged, I would expect that they would begin to loosen their bond to the cob and detach and fall out.
I actually had a customer once request that we make him a cob pipe with the kernels still attached. Unfortunately we had to decline his request. First, we do consider our heirloom variety to be somewhat proprietary and we closely guard our seed. Second, with the heat generated from the burning tobacco, I feared not so much that the kernels would "pop" like popcorn, but that the heat would loosen their bonds to the cob causing the kernels to fall out.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The tamper gets my vote, and I'm not even a cob guy!
However after all this talk of cobs, I'll think I'll check out your website.
Do you ship to Mexico?

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
Good explanation, virginiacob. I kinda figured as much. It would certainly look neat, though. :lol:

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I like this idea! I've been thinking of picking up a cob from Old Dominion - a cob tamper would make a nice set. (Is there a way to direct order an Old Dominion pipe or does one have to go through an etailer?)
Could one end of the tamper possibly be cut at a diagonal, to produce a bowl scraping end for getting your dottle out? Maybe it isn't structurally strong enough for that?
Maybe a toothpick could be left in the core of the cob tamper via a very small diameter drilled hole. I've been using a toothpick to get my dottle out of a Missouri Meerschaum Legend (and my thumb/index finger for a tamper half the time.)

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Those are pretty neat-looking! I'd definitely be interested in picking a couple up...

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I would sure buy one because it is unique and would go well with my cobs .And your cobs are the best tasting little jewels ,love the stem . Honest folks even if you do not care for cobs you owe it to yourself to add a Old Dominion Pipe to your next order, guaranteed to put a smile on your face . :D

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
ABob, you know I'm a sucker for anything you make. I'd buy a few of those tampers for sure, along with a few more of your truly fine pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.