PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Forums member sent me an admirable selection of samples of tobacco, and one of them is Old Dark Fired flake, Mac Barens I presume. I kept reading about these both in themselves and as part of other blends. The MacB version is Virginia and burley, and boy, is it good! I have a weakness for full-strength tobaccos, although I don't pursue them just for an experience or for high nicotine. This is just a fine, smooth, robust smoke that really follows through the entire bowl. It has real base notes but also a sweetness and timbre between the Virginias and the burley that is deeply pleasing. It may not be everyone's thing, but I think it will make a lot of pipe smokers happy. Full strength doesn't have to be harsh or intimidating. Go slow at first and find out how you do, but this might be a pleasant surprise.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Welcome to the dark side. (A shameless pun, I know.) Old Dark Fired became one of my favorites from the first bowl.

Scriptonic

(scripto)
Jun 12, 2013
mmmmmmmmm ODF is currently one of my favorites. Lately I've been cubing it up, soooo sweet this way. I think I may order a pound in May.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Good stuff it is, but I seem to be suited to most of the Macbaren range (I know - it's not very original, I just seem to like the toppings/casings they use. Even the HH latakia (and I'm no big lat fan).

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I love this blend - both flake and ready-rubbed - and smoke it several times each week. It has a deep, rich, satisfying flavor.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I was gifted some Mac Barron ODF from a member of the youtube pipe smoking community and fell in love. It is strong but you still get the sweet smell of the Virginia. I don't smoke it every day, but I smoke it quite often.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I don't think there's a piper around who doesn't like ODF. Those of you who are considering purchasing pounds should just do it already.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
^ +1
I have about 3 flakes left from a pound I bought mid summer of last year and I have and smoke a lot of different blends, depending on my mood. ODF is definitely one of my favorites and in my top 5.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I bought 3 tins before the change. One I'm smoking in hushed and reverent tones the other two are going to sit for a couple of years.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Definitely a top five for me. It's made really well too. Perfect moisture content straight from the tin and the flakes are just the right size for a standard 3/4 x 1.5 bowl.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
What changed?
Not sure if anything with the tobacco changed but they stopped shipping the original and just announced the re-release.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/mac-baren-hh-line-is-back-with-smaller-tins-new-packaging/

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thank you for the link, freakiefrog.

It sounds like they're being progressive and traditional; those are not always mutually exclusive!

I have very much enjoyed their Vintage Syrian and, like you all, the ODF.......similar to my one-time-taste of St. Bruno Flake, btw, and should nicely fill the Virginia/Burley niche in the rotation of smokers who enjoy their flake.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Damn good baccy! Just finished another tin last night and will be cracking open the next one soon.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I have read the Mac Baren literature for ODF, and they list Virginia and Dark Fired Kentucky. No Burley as I thought I was tasting.

What exactly is Dark Fired Kentucky tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.