PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Got a tin and am about ready to try it for the first time... What pipe should I use? One dedicated to burleys? Should it get it's own pipe? A new pipe or a seasoned pipe?

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think any pipe will do, as long it already doesn't have a ghost. If you are really concerned I would recommend a Cob or Meer until you can figure out what works with the flavor you get.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
One that you are willing to smoke all the time, because that's how often you're gonna want to smoke it. I have 3 or 4 pipes I run it through. It is DAMN good stuff. Just placed an order that included another 100 gram tin.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Any pipe will do. I smoke it in all of mine.
The one drawback to the ready rubbed vs. the flake is the ready rubbed burns much faster. I rub the flake out into a shag but for some reason it burns slower than the ready rubbed.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Smokin it cube cut in a meer right now. Like it folded and stuffed in a cob, or rubbed out in a briar...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Check this out Lou:
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-smoking/flake-pipe-tobacco-preparation/
There are more methods to get tobacco in a pipe than I ever dreamed!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I smoke it in Lat pipes, but I'd also say you should try it in a cob first. Just to see what you think.

I generally use the fold n' stuff method for all my flakes/coins (although I do scrunch them up a bit after folding), but I might have to try rubbing it next time I smoke it, as I'd say it would do well with that method.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Pete:
What led you to choose "Latakia" pipes for ODF?
Not criticizing at all! Burley and latakia can be wonderful together. I'm just curious about the choice. (And now you have me wanting to try this combination!)
Bob

Jan 8, 2013
I rub it out then let it dry to a crisp. I have a bunch of the ready rubbed right now, I just pull out enough for about 6 bowls before bed and let it sit out all night, by morning its quite crisp, and ready to go for the day. I throw it in a sandwich bag and toss it in the car.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Continuing on the Lat pipe sub-topic, i bet it would be good in my morta, to which i have dedicated only english/lat blends. My SPC order is out for delivery as i type and includes another 100g tin (i am fresh out) of ODF. I am going to try that out in the next few days, as i thing it is a great idea and the morta, already ghosted with Lat, will provide an EXTRA peaty/smokey taste to the blend. Thanks for the words of wisdom, petes03!

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
For me, there's a definite underlying sweetness to ODF, which expresses itself best in a pipe with a narrow chamber. Also, ODF seems to burn hot if I use any packing technique other than folding/rolling and stuffing. Anyone else notice that?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
No problem Layinpipe.

I normally am not so picky about which pipes I smoke Burley in, generally I just pick one. But Kentucky Dark Fired is a little different animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.