PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Just wanted to recommend an excellent new book on pipe smoking: Old Briar - Pipe Smoking on a Budget by Dave Whitney. Just bought the Kindle edition and, although I've only just started, its a hoot. You owe it to yourself to check it out. Loving every page of it. No affiliation ... yada, yada, yada. Just a damn fine read in the best sense of the word.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
voorhees...if you don;t have a kindle but do have an android device, apple device you can download the Kindle app and read it that way. You can also read kindle books online.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
kashmir, when you are done reading the entire book, I would appreciate a 1500 word essay with a detailed review. Once I have read your thoughts, I will then download it to my kindle. Thank you kindly sir. :lol:

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Harris - LOL. It's only a $7 book. And the Kindle machine is $75 new. I get by just with a cell phone and a Kindle because I hate the monitor lines on computer & TV screens. It's a great book as its all about buying and refurbishing estate pipes, and he's got a lot of fine observations on the old names, their history and current worth on the estate market. Plus, he's a fine writer.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
7 bucks, I don't know if I can afford it. lol I have a Samsung Galaxy that I use to download all my books. I have about 50 in my library right now. I love the thing, best invention to come out in a long time. I will definitely download this one.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
If you have an Amazon Prime membership (i.e., if you're a sucker like me), you can borrow the e-book at no extra charge.
It's very entertaining and well-written.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Dave is a retired journalist. He's not only a hoot to read but also to talk with.I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of years back. He sends me "care packages" every so often,pipes and such that he cannot sell on Ebag.Most go into the parts bin,some are fixed up.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
About half way done now. A lot of good info and history on estate eBay sleeper brands like early Linkman's Dr. Grabow, Marxman and Merchant Service pipes. And Edward's pipes out of Florida. All great smokers to be had for a song. A real solid chapter on collecting Yello-Boles. Lots on Kaywoodies too. And a bit of praise for Israel's Shalom Pipe Co. and Karl Erik Ottendahl freehands. A really nice section on Tracy Mincer's The Doodler pipe with its funny rings and drilled vertical air holes for cooling. I almost bought one of those, and now I'm gonna aim for one. I think they're cool. Carl Weber, the noted author, also produced a lot of pipes in his Jersey City factory. Weber's Scoops are a handsome pipe that I think I'll look into as well. Plus I'm going to pick up Weber's two books, now long out of print. Then there's a section on those crazy leather covered French Longchamp pipes. Also there's a huge scholarly section on dating Kirsten pipes that's really valuable, and represents a solid contribution to the literature on these types of pipes. This is followed by a Comoy's dating guide, and a section on English estates. I wish he spent more time on English estates, but this book is really focused, understandably, on his first love, which are American estate pipes. Then a major section on America's most famous pipe, the Kaywoodie, President Ford's favorite pipe. And here the author provides a real nice chronology of the company that helps date specific pipes. And all this before you even reach the second half which goes into everything you need to know about restoring estate pipes, and learning about the market, called simply "Restoring Good Smokers". In fact the whole book is about finding good smokers amongst brand names most here have probably never heard of. By the way the book is also filled with web hyperlinks that take you to sites expanding on what he's talking about. Very nice feature of Kindle to be able to jump between book text and the web. I've been really pleased with this book. It's greatly expanded my search terms for eBay, to snag an old American briar of good smoke. An ideal companion to pour over while enjoying a good solid bowl of Latakia leaf. High praises for a truly exceptional book.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Thanks Kash. I appreciate you sharing this. Sidenote not meant to derail the thread.
I have two old Weber's I've restored and they both smoke well IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.