PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
Hi folks,
I decided to go with a nice lighter and I think based my research and your comments, these three are reliable: Old boy, Kirbi, and Peterson. They have similar look too. Just wondering if there is a major diferrence between them or performance wise one is better.
As alway much appreciate your help.

Sep 18, 2015
I haven’t tried the Kirbi or Peterson, my IMC Old Boy is awesome, holds a good amount of fuel and lights every time with barley a flick of the wheel.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I really love my Kiribi. I've only had that out of the three mentioned, so I can't compare, but I was in a search before I bought it in which I considered an old boy. I decided that the Kiribi would get me into the old boy style for a cheaper price and had heard nothing but good things, so I went for that. Maybe one day I'll get an old boy, but really, the Kiribi is essentially the same lighter. Not sure if the old boy is better or not, but until I have one, I can't say for sure. At least for me.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
I can't compare since I only have the Peterson, but I'm very satisfied with mine and it seems to be well worth the price. I would recommend it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My Kiribi was performing wizardly till the flint took leave of a productive life. Whichever lighter you buy, make sure you order replacement flints along with it. It really sux for the flint to give out and then find out the replacements are out of stock.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I only have a Kiribi, but I’m obsessed with it. I researched quite a bit before buying a pipe lighter, and I believe they are not insignificantly cheaper than the Old Boy. The fuel lasts forever and replacement flints are really cheap. Buy the Kiribi brand flints and you get a small bottle with like 15-20 flints for just a few dollars. I’ve yet to replace the flint after 4 months of use. I also really like the wing on top for opening the lighter, it feels really good in the hand. I know some people complained about screws backing out and parts flying off but I’ve yet to have that problem. I check all the screws with a precision screwdriver every so often and I’ve yet to find one that was even slightly loose. You won’t be disappointed with any of those 3 lighters I’m sure, but I wouldn’t spend more money to get the same performance. Kiribi or Peterson would get my vote.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
You may also want to take a look at the IM-Corona Pipemaster. I've using one for years and it's every bit as reliable as the Old Boy. Same price range, too.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My IM Corona Pipemasters are great lighters, no need for flints. My IM Corona Old Boys are also great lighters and they use a flint. If you go Old Boy make sure you spend the money for IM Coronoa flints, they are the best flints I have found.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Like OlkoFri I suspect that Kiribis and Petersons come from the same factory in Japan,nonthless were I living in America I'd perhaps consider Kirbi Kabutos seen on Smokingpipes.com since they're a bit more affordable than Petersons.All the same,good value.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
IM Corona seems to be behind Sillem's lighters too. The stamp on the bottom of Sillem's lighters does say "IM Corona - Japan". The Sillem's are probably finished in Germany, though.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I have both a Peterson & Old Boy, both work well, easy flame adjustment, easy refill, hardware feels solid in both. If priced similarly, and I could only have one, I’d go with the Old Boy given their long service record.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I have a Sillems (which is an IM Corona with a silver body and Chinese lacquer but apart from the cosmetic appearance it is I believe the same) and a Pearl Foxtail/Kiribi, I don't like the Kiribi design as the screw on the snuffer lever keeps coming undone so I had to keep tightening it which became a pain.

Many seem to love Kiribi but for what it's worth I prefer the Old Boy/Sillems, also take into account the Sillems cost just over double the Foxtail/Kiribi
Chris

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I stick with Bics now. Dropped my Old Boy the day I bought it, and now it leaks fuel. Drop a Bic and it still works.

Status
Not open for further replies.