Old Boy, Kiribi or Peterson? Seeking Recommendation

(26 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by jason64
  • Latest reply from someguyfawkes
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jason64

Login to Send PM

Hi folks,

I decided to go with a nice lighter and I think based my research and your comments, these three are reliable: Old boy, Kirbi, and Peterson. They have similar look too. Just wondering if there is a major diferrence between them or performance wise one is better.

As alway much appreciate your help.

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. captpat

captpat

Login to Send PM

Old Boy all day long

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven’t tried the Kirbi or Peterson, my IMC Old Boy is awesome, holds a good amount of fuel and lights every time with barley a flick of the wheel.

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an IM Corona Old Boy, and a couple of Kiribi old boy style lighters. They are all fine.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really love my Kiribi. I've only had that out of the three mentioned, so I can't compare, but I was in a search before I bought it in which I considered an old boy. I decided that the Kiribi would get me into the old boy style for a cheaper price and had heard nothing but good things, so I went for that. Maybe one day I'll get an old boy, but really, the Kiribi is essentially the same lighter. Not sure if the old boy is better or not, but until I have one, I can't say for sure. At least for me.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aren't some brands actually made by the same factory in Japan?

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex

Login to Send PM

I can't compare since I only have the Peterson, but I'm very satisfied with mine and it seems to be well worth the price. I would recommend it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Kiribi was performing wizardly till the flint took leave of a productive life. Whichever lighter you buy, make sure you order replacement flints along with it. It really sux for the flint to give out and then find out the replacements are out of stock.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Jason,
    As Olkofri mentioned, both lighters are exactly the same in regard to fit and finish. Peterson lighters are rebranded Kiribis and arrive with the exact same packaging with a different logo. My Peterson lighters is fanatastic. Buy whichever one looks better to you.
    Dan

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

I’ve got a Peterson had it a few years now no problems whatsoever.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Buy the one that doesn't evaporate fuel like crazy. Yes, my Zippo, I am speaking about you.

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

I only have a Kiribi, but I’m obsessed with it. I researched quite a bit before buying a pipe lighter, and I believe they are not insignificantly cheaper than the Old Boy. The fuel lasts forever and replacement flints are really cheap. Buy the Kiribi brand flints and you get a small bottle with like 15-20 flints for just a few dollars. I’ve yet to replace the flint after 4 months of use. I also really like the wing on top for opening the lighter, it feels really good in the hand. I know some people complained about screws backing out and parts flying off but I’ve yet to have that problem. I check all the screws with a precision screwdriver every so often and I’ve yet to find one that was even slightly loose. You won’t be disappointed with any of those 3 lighters I’m sure, but I wouldn’t spend more money to get the same performance. Kiribi or Peterson would get my vote.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  13. dukdalf

dukdalf

Login to Send PM

You may also want to take a look at the IM-Corona Pipemaster. I've using one for years and it's every bit as reliable as the Old Boy. Same price range, too.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My IM Corona Pipemasters are great lighters, no need for flints. My IM Corona Old Boys are also great lighters and they use a flint. If you go Old Boy make sure you spend the money for IM Coronoa flints, they are the best flints I have found.

Harris
    Posted 4 months ago #
  15. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like OlkoFri I suspect that Kiribis and Petersons come from the same factory in Japan,nonthless were I living in America I'd perhaps consider Kirbi Kabutos seen on Smokingpipes.com since they're a bit more affordable than Petersons.All the same,good value.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 4 months ago #
  16. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1) Old Boy, 2) Kiribi, and 3) Peterson.

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

IM Corona seems to be behind Sillem's lighters too. The stamp on the bottom of Sillem's lighters does say "IM Corona - Japan". The Sillem's are probably finished in Germany, though.

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

I have both a Peterson & Old Boy, both work well, easy flame adjustment, easy refill, hardware feels solid in both. If priced similarly, and I could only have one, I’d go with the Old Boy given their long service record.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

I have a Sillems (which is an IM Corona with a silver body and Chinese lacquer but apart from the cosmetic appearance it is I believe the same) and a Pearl Foxtail/Kiribi, I don't like the Kiribi design as the screw on the snuffer lever keeps coming undone so I had to keep tightening it which became a pain.
    Many seem to love Kiribi but for what it's worth I prefer the Old Boy/Sillems, also take into account the Sillems cost just over double the Foxtail/Kiribi

Chris

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

Do old boys and Kiribi share same size flints?

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I stick with Bics now. Dropped my Old Boy the day I bought it, and now it leaks fuel. Drop a Bic and it still works.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 months ago #
  22. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I stick with Bics now. Dropped my Old Boy the day I bought it, and now it leaks fuel. Drop a Bic and it still works.

Never doubt the durability of a Bic.
    Has any one of you guys had one of these fancy lighters go through the wash. Im sure at some point this would happen to me, if I had one.

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. delkhouri

delkhouri

Login to Send PM

I have the Peterson lighter...

To be honest, I wanted an old boy but I found the Peterson NIB for $40 and I have not been disappointed whatsoever. If I remember correctly, the Peterson Lighter is made by Tsubota Pearl in Japan and is quality. If all the prices are currently equal (or if money is of not issue to you), I would get the Old Boy as is known quality. But if there is a substantial savings on the Peterson, know that it is a quality made lighter and will not let you down.

"I believe that many who find that 'nothing happens' when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand"
    ~ C.S. Lewis
    Posted 3 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

jrtaster

Login to Send PM

My Old Boy is pre-Japanese manufacture. I had misplaced it for several years, tried lighting it and voila, perfect light immediately. None of my other lighters would perform as well. There, now I jinxed myself! One of my smarter purchases over the 15 or so years of intermittent pipe smoking!

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

Whichever lighter you buy, make sure you order replacement flints along with it. It really sux for the flint to give out and then find out the replacements are out of stock.

This is precisely why I've avoided buying a lighter that uses flints.
    I'm using a Colibri 'piezo-electric' Pacific Air Soft Flame Pipe lighter
    that doesn't need flints and that so far has been performing quite well.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Colibri-Pacific-Air-Pipe-Lighter-Soft-Flame-in-Brushed-Gunmetal-Black/323695970311?hash=item4b5dc88807:g:LdsAAOSwlpZacJYd
    I think it also costs considerably less than the lighters you've been discussing.

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. someguyfawkes

someguyfawkes

Login to Send PM

I love my Kiribi. I also have a Sarome which is also made in Japan and it’s a great lighter as well.

http://www.sarome.com/products/lighter/pipe/

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tfdickson, danimalia, aldecaker, jravenwood, jpmcwjr, hoppes, vangoghpipe