Status
Not open for further replies.

moscca

Lurker
May 26, 2013
Today got my Corona Old Boy, finally !!

Did check my order again because I thought I ordered the Ladies model :D

Jul 12, 2011
Congrats, best thing a piper can do for themselves when it comes to lighters :puffy:
I have had my Black/Chrome Old boy for over three years now; with regular maint, strike & lite every time :worship:

Jul 12, 2011
I have been eye'in this Old Boy Pinstripe now for awhile.... I'm doomed 8O
001-068-0040.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
@tbradsim1 ~ That is one outstanding lighter my brother :worship:
And to Harris and Peck; True Brothers of Briar! :clap:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Pipe Master all the way. Love that freaking lighter. It's solidly built and works like a champ. The Old Boy is also great, but I'm not all that crazy about having to open the top, and then flip it down again, but I'm just splitting hairs on that and it's very minor. Of course the Old Boy more often than must be used indoors as the fart from a Canary would put out the flame.

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
I want an Old Boy but I have a Jim Beam Brass Zippo with the Thunderbird insert that is working quite well. I think an old boy will be a purchase next year though.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Smokingdragon - that pin stripe is the one I bought and I am loving it so far.
Bradley, that pipemaster is stunning. I really like the combination of classic looks and the ease of modern piezoelectric quartz.
Does anyone know how long those quartz lighters are supposed to last?

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I have a Pipemaster since the late 80s and an Old Boy since 15 years. The Pipemaster was twice in Service, once for a leak in the flame adjustment and once for a stuck Piezo. The Old Boy was twice serviced as well, once for leaking due to the spring on the top not keeping it closed and once for an optical overhaul, because the briar cover was scratched and dinged. So the second could have been avoided with better care, or a restoration, but I neither have the tools, not the expertise for that. The service guy changed the spark wheel as well, as it was still working fine, but worn, and could have given up anytime. He warned me to not use hard flints, which wear down the wheel, and recommended im Corona or Zippo flints.
Both lighters work very well and have survived many other, cheaper lighters, which I got as presents, or bought for being out and about, where I wouldn't take an expensive lighter. I once had a Dupont, but is was stolen one week, after I got it as present, so I can't compare to them.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have a Pipemaster since the late 80s and an Old Boy since 15 years. The Pipemaster was twice in Service, once for a leak in the flame adjustment and once for a stuck Piezo
Thanks very much Peter - I didn't know they could last that long!

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I have the Pinstripe as well. Ilove it, but...I have to agree with a comment that Bradley posted some time back: If a mouse farts in outer Mongolia, it will blow the flame out on an old boy...

Status
Not open for further replies.