PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I picked this up at a Buy it Now auction on ebay. It looked to be in decent shape. I like old bulldogs and the horn stem intrigued me. The pics are after a good clean up. It's a nice late 19th or early 20th century pipe. No marks except a very neat 3g inscribed on the stem. The weird thing is that I have had another old pipe or two with that exact same mark. The stem, push tenon and stinger are carved from a single piece of horn. I'd keep it but it's small. One size up from dinky. It's not my thing so I guess I'll put back up for auction.
BeadedBulldogHorn1_zps3488615c.jpg

BeadedBulldogHorn2_zps71c709bd.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never seen a beaded bead line quite like that. Any chance you'd want it for flake or plug? Sometimes

small pipes deliver a good long smoke with those. Good little clencher, too.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I agree with MSO. It's such a nice pipe I would keep it for flakes or as a pocket pipe. That horn stem/stinger in one piece is very unusual and in good shape. And the beading as well! Unless you need to turn it to finance the next purchase I would keep it if it were me.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I have a beaded meerschaum bulldog that dates to about 1890. I've discussed the bead line elsewhere and it's thought that long ago actual beads carved on the bead line indicated a deluxe pipe. Seems like by the early 1900s it's a feature that is gone. I think it's a cool pipe too. And very lightly smoked with an interesting grain that very old pipes can lack. I imagine they used the light stain to highlight the grain. It's just so dang small! You guys have me reconsidering. No need to be hasty I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.