OLD BBB PIPE... anybody seen one like this before ??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottb

Lurker
Apr 12, 2016
Just got my hands on this old pipe.. i thinks is a nice example but i have a few questions

Maybe some of you learned pipe folk could share some wisdom as google failed me.
So its an old BBB.... Amber looking stem... how to tell if real amber or amberite ??
Then to the silver collar... im fairly used to dealing in silver so to me this is a London assayed silver collar

dating from 1886... All the other BBB pipes ive looked at were assayed in birmingham.

Did they start producing early on in London then move to Birmingham maybe?

scottb

Lurker
Apr 12, 2016
I will try to show some images for details.
IMG_9746.jpg

IMG_9747.jpg

IMG_9750.jpg

IMG_9749.jpg

IMG_9748.jpg

scottb

Lurker
Apr 12, 2016
so i think its a billiard, and the silver collar is marked

E.B. W.B. who were Edwin BARLING William BARLING - London
Anyone know of other BBB pipes with collars by this other firm ?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'd swear that you're looking at a Barling band on a BBB pipe. The Barlings were silversmiths before pipe makers weren't they?
Sablebrush where are you?
-- Pat

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Clearly mounted by the barling firm, they certainly did silversmith work for other companies.

Assuming no hidden issues, a very, VERY nice pipe.
Doc

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The case is in excellent shape with an unfaded Prussian blue lining which is most unusual as they usual turn up in pretty knackered condition.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
A beautiful pipe. You can date the silverwork with the three markings on the side of the silver. I am not very good at it but there charts all over the net.
Mike S.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Holy Cow! You've hit for six; a homer, Goooaaaaalllll! That's a stupendous pipe, and Jesse will be very helpful, and if he doesn't have the skinny right away, Jon Guss may show up, as it appears to be a very unique and valuable specimen.
Congratulations, and welcome to the forum!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Barling did BBB's silver work in the 1880's. THAT is a beautiful specimen! The stem is amber. The bowl was made in France for BBB and it's well carved.
Like many other British makers of the period, almost all of BBB's bowls were turned in France and finished and stained in England. Also, given the fit of the bowl to the case, and the telltale marks on the inside of the case, the bowl may have been topped. But judging from the condition of the amber stem, it doesn't look like the pipe has seen much use.

This is one of the simpler Barling mountings that I've seen, so I would assume that the stem has a bone tenon that screws into the mortise.
It's an elegant piece! Congratulations!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Wow...Great Pipe !!
That is a beauty and an excellent find. Thanks for posting the pics...it truly made my day. :)

I wonder what that stem is. In years of working with amber, I lnow that you cannot bend the real deal. Maybe an amber resin? I wonder if it

has air bubbles in it. That would mean that it was a resin made of a sap that hasn't petrified into stone yet. I love that diamond shaped shank. Awesome pipe!!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Congrats on that Beautiful pipe! That is most elegant- LOVE It!!....... :clap:

I lnow that you cannot bend the real deal.

Cos- Amber does bend if its heated properly- Its heated in a hot oil bath, after its drilled, then bent.....

Check out this article:

https://rebornpipes.com/2013/02/23/what-is-the-amber-used-in-pipe-stems-and-how-are-they-bent/

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
I have a completely different BBB pipe with 1892 date and a BBB hallmark.

scottb

Lurker
Apr 12, 2016
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and knowledge folks.

I very much appreciate the info shared. I was concerned that maybe the band wasn't correct,

and as im intending to let it go on Ebay didn't want to misrepresent it in any way.

Thanks again, Scott

scottb

Lurker
Apr 12, 2016
Thanks again for the help.

If anyone's interested i just listed it on Ebay.

Starting at a penny no reserve, i think it should be fun. item no 301929766148
Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.