PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have heard that many aromatics don't age well. Have any of you had luck with 10/15/20 year old aros ? I mean do they turn to vinegar or something? I know that was a wine reference. Lol

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Aros don't improved with age from what I've heard. Flavor may diminish if not properly stored in jars. I really only have one aro I keep in bulk and I always jar it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The taste (if there is any) and aroma dissipate over time. My guess is that the older it is the less of aromatic properties. I had some old stuff-amphora Red, Bond Street, Kentucky Club but sent it to other members who were interested in them. I suppose only time will tell you but deliberately cellaring aros is not a usual practice from what I've read.

Of course, is a tine is unopened and the seal is tight you may get a very pleasant surprise. At the very worst you'll wind up with the base tobaccos nicely aged.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had some aromatics poorly stored over years that smoked satisfactorily. I'm not saying they were life

enhancing experiences, but they were flavorful and extra mellow, and good enough to send me back to buy

fresh tobacco, not out of disgust but out of renewed enthusiasm. Attention to keeping leaf fresh is important,

but it is far tougher and more resilient than you think. Try it, you will probably like it, more often than not.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
I have maybe a dozen aro's jarred up for around 15 years. Once in a great while I will open one and they still have perfect moisture and full on aro aroma. Once in an even greater while, possibly when pondering the properties of aged tobacco, I will fire one up. They seem to burn and gurgle just as good as they ever did but I don't find myself going back to them. Can't remember the last time I loaded a bowl, maybe another 15 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.