PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
LSU bans smoking

One of the largest campuses (acreage)in the country and professors and students can't enjoy a stimulating pipeful.

There are many places on that campus where you could be blocks from another human being. I know because it's where I first smoked a pipe for a few years before switching to cigars. I'm so tired of idiots for leaders.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
My community college had two very nice smoking shelters built on campus that were the only areas to smoke. They probably cost a pretty penny. Before I left, they decided theys spend taxpayers dollars bull dozing those shelters and banning smoking campus wide. They were far enough out of everybodys way thag sdcond hand smoke really wasn't an issue. As George Carlin once said... It's all bullshit folks, and it's bad for ya!

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I can see enforcement being so much fun especially with 100,000 people tailgating.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
See, if it were me, and I were the professor, I'd go find one of these isolated areas where no one is around for blocks, and smoke my pipe anyway.
I don't know if it's so much about idiocy, rather than cowardliness, or indifference.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I'm older. But being a suckup in college, I would be one of the first in class, sit up by the teacher's desk (she was a smoker), open the nearest window and pull the ashtray of the drawer for us, encouraging her to light up -- which she always did. Just a couple of us smoked in class, and everyone seemed to put up with that just fine.
The director of the dept. of education didn't smoke in class. He waited until people started leaving. Then he would light up as some of us stragglers were asking last minute questions. He would flick his ash into the cheap carpet they put in classrooms, and hiss to us, blowing out smoke as he did so, "Keeps the moths away."
The journalism instructor had a big whopper of a pipe in his office. I don't know what it was.
I smoked my pipe in my room. I had a stack of big Argosy cans, the old tin ones big as coffee cans. Pyramid of them before I graduated.
Course... my room was also above the campus pub -- where I worked for tuition in the work-study program.
Ah... the good old days. Today, smoke free campus, pub closed years ago since the drinking age went to 21, and no alcohol other than beer or wine permitted at parties.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Tulane in New Orleans has decided to go completely smoke free next year. My roommate and I live on the top floor of our dorm and we've got a balcony. We're planning on camouflaging the balcony with Mardi Gras beads and smoking up there anyway!

rasselass

Lurker
Apr 3, 2014
Its no different over here,in the U.K.,no smoking in Hospital grounds,Schools,Colleges,Universities,Bus Shelters and the list goes on,in the past ,a smoke, a chat and a drink was a sociable and pleasant daily occurence,now Public Houses over here are closing at an alarming rate ...its not the same standing outside a Restaurant or Public House to have a "smoke"...so a lot of folk like me and "her indoors" don't go out as often.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Smoking was banned in my high school (that was in early '70s) but I distinctly remember wading through smoke just to take a leak in the boys room each day. Banning stuff rarely works the way fascists want.

rasselass

Lurker
Apr 3, 2014
I remember when the "smoking ban"was introduced a friend who owned a "public House"(now closed),challenged the law by stating he would put a massive sign above the entrance"smokers only welcome here",his appeal was turned down as it was still a public place...its plain crazy ...as his business would still be there...and people worked for him lost their jobs..

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Rasselass, it's not law to not smoke on hospital, university, etc grounds, so I just ignore it. I occasionally have to visit universities and a lot of them have no smoke policies, but I just ignore it, and nobody ever says anything.
We've got the first 'smoke free' village not to far away from me in llanfairpwll, but obviously it's not law, so it's pointless. I heard in the pub they get children to police this scheme to try and guilt people into stopping. It's a shame cause there's a good edinburgh woolen mill there, but I won't be visiting again.

rasselass

Lurker
Apr 3, 2014
Anglesey,as you know closure of High St. shops in near all towns and villages is of big concern in the U.K.,my Tobacconist Shop was victim to this..Parking restrictions on customers/excessive fines/clamping etc.,my council tax/water rates and rent £35k per annum,all these restrictions are strangling the hell out of those trying to hang on,usually the car parking so expensive and the distance with our weather a deterent to shoppers ...legislation is turning the country to internet shopping and a stay at home culture..a sad state of affairs,and destroying community life...health and safety etc.,there seems no end to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.