PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Well, I tried not to fall into the Esoterica propaganda trap but I was able to purchase a single tin of Margate a couple of weeks ago from TobaccoPipes.com. They had it in stock but would only let me put one single tin in my cart.
Anyway, I just tried it a few days ago and I'm absolutely floored. I normally shy away from over hyped products but I thought one tin won't hurt, even if it sucks...
Well, now I very much understand. This stuff is unbelievable. Wow... just... wow.
Now I get it.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I had also avoided the trap of esoterica or in any other way "hard-to-get" tobaccos on principal. But a meet up of my pipe club happened at a trunk show featuring esoterica and germain's and I grabbed a tin of medium flake on a whim.
Two bowls later I am frantically searching on line retailers for more.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I happen to be smoking a bowl of Margate as I type this. Nice, refined English blend. But really no better than a dozen other similar blends I can think of. Grab some Abingdon, Manchester, Fusiliers Ration, Magnum Opus, Black House or White Knight from any of those internet providers you're searching and you should be equally satisfied with no stress, minimal effort and money left over.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Grab some Abingdon, Manchester, Fusiliers Ration, Magnum Opus, Black House or White Knight
Yes I agree. White Knight and Black House already firmly in rotation. Fusiliers Ration and Magnum Opus are on the way. While these are way up top in my favorites, there's just something about Margate. I can't put my finger on it...
Also just got 4 tins of Smokers Haven Exotique ordered. Supposed to be very similiar to Margate. We'll see!
Anyway, long story short, sure I'll buy another tin if the opportunity presents itself but I'm fairly happy with the above listed suggestions from hoosier.
Also, zero B&M's within driving distance but definitely going to make some calls and develop a rapport with some of them. A shop very near my sister has Nightcap in stock and she's going to pick some up for me. I'll probably start with them.
And the journey continues...

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Well I had first try of Penzance which I bought in bulk when it was available. This stuff is excellent but not otherworldly. Very much GLP style of blending, several GLP balkans taste very close to this and I enjoy them.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
I purchased four different Esoterica blends and I have not been impressed by any of them.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Dropping $70 or more on a 2oz tin would be insane, that is for sure. I suspect there are a lot of retailers in pipe smoking community that encourage people to
1.hoard to boost their sales

2.buy overpriced 'rare' tobaccos

3.generate artificial hype for certain lines
In truth everything tastes like a match of something else, and that basically counters all of that hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.