PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
I was looking for a specific Savinelli pipe and found it on 2 different sites, but they seem to be the exact same site with little differences. http://www.egars.com/Savinelli_Alligator_413_p/pipeall413.htm and http://www.niceashcigars.com/Categories/42/Savinelli-Collection.aspx.

It seems to be the same inventory and the same prices but they have a different name. Both are based in NY state, the web site set up is basicaly the same, they have the exact same shipping policy page, and the topper is they both refuse to ship to NY. WTF is the deal with that?? Go figure, I find the pipe im lookig for for a great price and they wont ship to my state...urrrrgggggg Have you ever run into somthing like this. Is there a law or somthing in NY that they cant ship to the same state they are in. That cant be because pipes and cigars is out of Albany and Colony NY.. Some one tell me whats up.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Look the same to me. $46 is pretty good for an alligator I think. Maybe cheap enough to have it sent to someone you trust out of state, then have them remail it to you. I thought they went for $67 or $75 normally.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I haven't seen either of those sites before, but that seems very odd - and when it comes to online retailers, best be on your guard. Whenever I find an e-tailer that I don't know, I first send an email to see if I get a response (I've had two sites I wanted to buy from before and got no response when I emailed them and never went back).
Then look them up on BBB.org.
They seem legit, but best to be sure. When in doubt, go with an established site like one of the advertisers here.

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
yeah that was my thought, but i dont have any family or friends out of state...Unless there is a Briar Brother out there that is willing to lend a bro a hand and let me send it to them, and then to me. Most of the guys on here seem like good people. They seem to send and share tobacco all the time.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Cup O'Joe's will send in state. As does Pipes and Cigars. My only guess would be that they don't want to deal with remitting NYS tobacco tax? I imagine it's complicated to deal with. Unless, of course, they are frauds. So there are two guesses for the price of one. I like the idea of e-mailing them first. Good luck!

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I with gwtwdss, under 50, is a pretty good deal. I've never heard of them not shipping to the state that their in!! could it be that the company is across a state line and they use a US address? Do the have a physical address that you can buy online and pick up in person?? I know my local B&M charges more to ship tobacco instate vs out of state, but that's tobaco only???
I've never heard of those companies, just reading on other fourms, they have another site...cigarsatyourprice.com
I'm just suprised as much as I search for pipes and tobacco, these sites never came up, and I search A LOT!!!

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
hey what was that site that had a chinese counterfeit where they'd take your money and never ship anything? was it eacarey?

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
Im going to start with an e mail and call the numbers then see if anything pans out. The one wearhouse is 3 hours away from me one way, so its a hike. But if i can pick it up, i would take a nice drive and do so to avoid all the shipping crap. It wont be any cheaper though, after all the gas to get there and back.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
My money is on the taxes issue. They have to charge sales tax for all orders shipped within NY state.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Plus, their business could be mainly cigars so it would be easier to give a blanket "no" to avoid the tobacco tax issues in NY than to spell it out (no cigars, but pipes OK, etc.) Call them, maybe if you only order a pipe they will ship it to you.

notabene1

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
Have you checked out other non-NY stores? If it were me, I wouldn't waste my time trying to verify this store's legitimacy or trying to understand their in-state shipping policy. I'd just go to some out-of-state (and well-known) stores like the ones I've listed below, and see if they have the pipe you're looking for. If they don't, ask if they would special order it for you. Many do, especially from an established pipe maker like Savinelli. Then compare the cost (the total cost - product price, shipping, taxes, etc.) and decide.
smokingpipes.com (South Carolina)
4noggins.com (Vermont)
Milan Tobacconists (Virginia)
Iwan Ries (Illinois)

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
I sent them an email last night and they got back to me today. They will ship things other than tobacco. The state hits them with a butt load of tax for tobacco so they refuse to deal with that. As for pipes and other stuff they will ship like normal. The guy told me they have 2 retail stores as well, so i looked them up and they seem to check out. One in Buffalo NY and one in Warren PA

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
pipe-titty-150x84.jpg
I decided to go with Niceashcigars....So I wrote them an email, and they were quick to respond. Then I called and talked to them and they will send pipes and stuff. They just wont send tobacco cause NY is a bitch and they refuse to jump through all the hoops. So i ordered the pipe and it came 2 days later. looks and feels as good as i had hoped. Im Going to fire her up tonight by the fire pit in the back yard. As for the site it is legit, good price, and quick with shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.