PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Lots of blends are back ordered on P&C. LOTS. Is there a current list of the most popular blends that will be going away?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hope PC can take advantage of the "run" on blends to tide themselves over this gloomy transition. But it's understandable they don't want to build up a stock that will then be prohibited to sell. I think the process will take a year or two to be in place, but it's like that kids' card game (now really not politically correct) where no one wanted to be stuck with "the old maid," thus losing the game. No one wants to be stuck with barrels of blend they can't sell.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
At this point, it is a gamble to make a new batch, as you will have to throw it away in August if it does not sell completely...
Then again, trading tobacco is still legit.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
At this point, it is a gamble to make a new batch, as you will have to throw it away in August if it does not sell completely...
Reading through the regs, I don't see that anywhere. There will need to be paperwork filed for post February 2007 blends but even if approval to continue them isn't given they could be on the market until August 8th 2019.

May 4, 2015
Nothing has to stop being sold by August. If it's on the market by August, it can remain so for at least two years - three if they have a pending application.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
They're probably just backordered because people are worried, and began their hoarding. Here's hoping the shelves get restocked after the August panic so I can stock up before I'm back in WA state, where it's illegal to have tobacco shipped to me. I live in a place with few B&Ms there.
As far as the regulation, as people mention there's a grace period (I thought it was 18 mos, but others are saying 2 yrs) during which time, even if tobacconists don't file paperwork they can still sell their products. The 18 mos is extended another year if they file paperwork, while the tobacco is being evaluated. And then hopefully, after the evaluation period, the tobacco is approved for sale and stays in stock for decades to come (or until tobacco becomes illegal altogether, something I'm afraid is slowly happening). As a side note, I'm glad I have a taste for well established tobacco that is likelier to stay on the shelves.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
@ sparrowhawk - The right wingers are the ones passing these "protect the public from themselves" laws, especially here in Indiana. I think you are joking, but half the time I can't tell when you guys ARE joking. For the record I am a hardcore liberal and I smoke.
Liberalism is a political philosophy or worldview founded on ideas of liberty and equality.
I believe people should be able to do whatever they damn well please without the government or douchebags interfering, as long as it does not harm other people, animals or the environment. A Neocon controlled House and Senate are passing these bills and are getting something out of it. Politicians are incapable of altruistic behavior. The Dems are just as bad and getting worse. I say vote ALL of them out and start a fresh batch of smarmy lying shitheads.
I'm off the soapbox. I will commit myself to growing my own if need be. I dug my vegetable garden this year and plan a tobacco section for next year. I would be more than happy to do some trading next fall when/if my harvest turns out OK.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Sorry jpmcwjr.
If certain people would stop stereotyping and political bashing ALL THE FUCKING TIME, I wouldn't feel compelled to get the facts out. Please forgive my language.

May 4, 2015
With ya. The moment someone uses the term "liberal" as an insult, I'm forced to assume they either have a simple mind or perhaps a perfectly adept one they refuse to use. Either way, it's becoming tiresome.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The bill which empowered the FDA was passed by Congress and last time I looked there were members with both Conservative and Progressive views in it. This got passed by both.
Also, the bill had a lot of support from "Big Tobacco" so if you want to scream about it, scream at R J R Reynolds, etc. It wouldn't have happened without their money.
It all boils down to money and who gets to make it.
Tiresome, yes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's easier to call names than delve into the issues. Most people would rather have their beliefs fed to them by the media pundits and commentators than exert any effort at self-education. Indeed money is the driving force as it takes money to get reelected and that's what drives a nearly all politicians, not political beliefs or what's best for the country. Most politicians do not have a firm belief in anything, a line they will not cross, it's about power and money is power.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Just throwing this out there...
This thread will probably be closed by a mod fro breaking the "No politics" rule.
God knows I'd have shut this thing down hours ago.
Of course, then, some member would get pissed at me, take his ball and go home and we'd have our annual forum exodus.
Sorry. I couldn't resist..
Carry on...
-Jason

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think our forefathers in Philadelphia (informed and in some cases hectored by their intelligent mothers, wives, and female consorts, no doubt) expected the eight thousand points of view that make up a nation's life to be argued, horse traded, mulled, mixed and always compromised. To them, this was not something repulsive but right and necessary. There were zealots among them, but also great thinkers. They didn't want a king, emperor, strong-man, dictator, or any other single voice calling the tune. The political parties (which as you know are not in the Constitution) were intended to bring legislative choices to a vote, not concentrate purist zealotry. The Constitution was born in a rare moment of ideas and culture, and the U.S. is having a difficult time living up to its legacy. It's easier to listen to only those who agree with you (me). If there is not a give and take, everyone (supposed winners and supposed losers) is losing.

This whole thread of fear that underlies most of what is posted these days makes visiting here very annoying at times. Even with folks "in the know" coming on and trying to assure everyone that the hobby will survive, people are delving into deep seated fearmongering. It could be other politics running over into the forums. But, it makes the overall mood,mreactions,, and conversation suck. Both sides of the right/left wing smoke. Cigar bars, pipe shops, forums, even pipe makers run the gambit of political views. Everyone has an asshole, but their is no need to show it to everyone. I'm not particularly interested in seeing your unique and politically perfect bumhole, and you probably don't want to see mine either.

Status
Not open for further replies.