PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippie

Lurker
Jun 23, 2011
I've tried everything I have started to smoke slower and I have researched and but I'm still getting toungebite..... So do you guys have any advice?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
  1. Brush and use mouthwash several times a day.

Pair your smokes with a slightly acidic beverage--tea, coffee, etc.

Cut back on frequency of smoking until you acclimate.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
There is a difference between bite and burn and its helpful if you know the difference.
Burn is from fast puffing hot wet smoke over the tongue.
Bite is more of an allergic reaction from a type of tobacco blend and doesn't need to be limited to the tongue.
I read some of your other posts and I bet you are getting a tongue burn instead of a true tongue bite.
If this is so, try going without the pipe for a few days and get your tongue back to normal and see if it doesn't go away.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Romeowood gave the best advice as far as what worked for me. When I smoked 1-2 bowls a day I had no problem, but when I tried to smoke any more than that, my tongue would get so burned that water tasted spicy :)

What I found was that impeccable oral hygiene was the key i.e brushing and mouthwash 3 times a day.

The other thing is that after smoking regularly for a few weeks, your tongue will adapt and get used to it.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
mlaug is right. Have you tried 1Q? If you're getting discomfort from that (or a similar blend well-known for being super-mild), it is probably the heat of the smoke. In this case, allow the t. to dry (as indicated) and/or try a churchwarden. The longer stem tends to dissipate the heat.
I have a really rough time (chemical aversion) with burleys, even the mildest blends.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Try McC Syrian Full Balkan it is most definitely not an aromatic, and while named 'full' is quite mild, and probably isn't even really a balkan, but it is the coolest, and most gentle smoke, flavourful and delicious. I smoke it while playing video games, because when I'm in the heat of battle and I'm freight training my pipe like a madman, it doesn't bite.

hippie

Lurker
Jun 23, 2011
I dried out the baccy and no tounge burning and it tastes better thanks a ton guys

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
When I started smoking a pipe, I got tongue bite from a cob and I was smoking aromatics from Edward's Pipe Shop. About 2 weeks later, I bought a Peterson and I've never gotten tongue bite again. Maybe it's because of the great advice I found on this site. Maybe it's because I haven't smoked that old cob again. I've also been smoking fewer aromatics. For me, time and experience has been the best help. Also, I use the hell out of a tamper!

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
The drier you can get your tobacco before you smoke it, the better. I try to get tobacco to a point just shy of being crunchy before I smoke it. The wetter the tobacco is the more steam will be created when you smoke it. Steam does not help your tongue! I find the tobacco has better flavor when drier as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.