PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
I have a peterson that whistles... its not the end of the world and the pipe smokes great and I love its shape...
But it has been bugging me for the past two days that it has this flaw... cant stop thinking about it, I feel like
I am not 100% pleased... Like there is a small something being left out...
Should I:
A.) Take it back and trade it for one thats similar with same grain but not same shape, but that I can deal with.
B.) Just keep it because I love the shape and hopefully the whistle goes away.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
If it whistles it doesn't "smoke great". Not whistling is a prerequisite for "smoking great ".

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Always great to tell a fellow pipe smoker how to live *rubs hands greedily* I would keep it if I love it personally, if the stem bothers you a whole lot, just send it to Walker Briar Works and get the stem replaced, then you will have a spare stem for clenching and another one that looks good and doesn't whistle. Pipes in that price range, especially ones made by Peterson usually have even worse flaws than that when the grain looks that good. Last Peterson I got, I had to send back 3 pipes and by the time I got the forth one it just had a bunch of fills/sanpits, I said at that point, "I'm done, I'm just keeping this one" I spent like $40 on shipping alone for a $100 pipe!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If you don't want to try any of the suggestions in the previous thread and can't stand the sound, then exchange the pipe. Other than sitting around tootling, those are your options.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Walker Briar Works can also do stem work for very little money and he does work with bent stems. I'd contact them and ask for a suggestion. I'd forgotten about that option. He is doing an airway improvement on a couple of my meerschaums and the bent one was $18 if I remember right. That way you can have your favorite pipe and not call all the dogs in the neighborhood whenever you smoke.

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
Damn... So from what your saying roth... its more than just a whistle problem... its an entire smoking problem...
But i cant just go putting all the pipes at the B&M in my mouth and try em out lol...

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
Well it has me wondering now... this is my first good pipe i have purchased...
Granted it smokes a lot better than those shitty basket pipes I have been smoking,
but now I am wondering how much better could the smoke be if I got one that doesnt whistle, ie have any airflow problems.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
js, you most certainly can check every pipe at your b/m for whistling. I personally would never settle for a brand new pipe that wasn't perfect. I would take it back, ask them to send it in and get a new stem, or maybe they will take a stem from a pipe on the rack that fits and send it back themselves. Do not settle for shoddy workmanship. That whistle will always bug you. Let the b/m fix the problem, it should not cost you one dime to make this right, I would never send it out to get replacement stem at your cost. If the b/m is willing to foot the bill for that then fine.

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
js, you most certainly can check every pipe at your b/m for whistling. I personally would never settle for a brand new pipe that wasn't perfect. I would take it back, ask them to send it in and get a new stem, or maybe they will take a stem from a pipe on the rack that fits and send it back themselves. Do not settle for shoddy workmanship. That whistle will always bug you. Let the b/m fix the problem, it should not cost you one dime to make this right, I would never send it out to get replacement stem at your cost. If the b/m is willing to foot the bill for that then fine.
Thanks brother, I also just got off the phone with Walker Briar Works and he sounds like a very cool and knowledgable man... and he also doesnt think that highly of peterson... He actually puts savinelli and stanwell above peterson on his list and says I should look at those more when replacing my pipe. Opinions on this? He said dollar for dollar i will get a far better pipe and smoke from a sav.
He said what i can do is blow down through the bowl to test the draw compared to the pete that I have...
(I have also heard that a packed bowl should feel like sipping through a straw... well this pete feels like that empty...) What should a empty bowl feel like? sipping on an empty straw?
Side note, I sent peterson an email two days ago and still havent heard anything and that kinda worries me about them as well

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
js, I have never had a bad Savinelli and I have no experience with Stanwell, but I never hear about issues with them like I do with Pete. Take it back and see what they have in Sav's or Stanwell's.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
FWIW I have a Pete Belgique I got from mrgunnar177 barely smoked that developed a whistle on the draw after about a month ( might have something to do with OCD cleaning using bristled cleaners ). Doesn't smoke any different but if I draw on it when empty, it does whistle. Drawing on the mortise with the stem removed does not make it whistle, whereas drawing on the stem removed from the pipe does. Have you narrowed down where the problem is?

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
exact same spot you said... with the stem in bowl it whistles, bowl without stem doesnt, stem without bowl does

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if it was purchased as a new pipe simply return or if you really like that particular pipe I suspect Peterson could correct the problem. Contact your vendor about the problem but I wouldn't keep smoking it if I intended to return it.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
jsiddle, then cacooper's answer on your post yesterday
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/stem-whistling
will probably do the trick. Unless you want to just return the pipe to the shop if it bugs you bad. As for the hard draw, how much have you smoked out of it and have you cleaned the bowl airway? Also, Petes, wheter System or not, have a moisture trap that needs to be paper toweled every now and then, I do it about every 3 smokes, as baccy juice and bits of baccy make their way in there.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
P.S. If it takes a considerable amount of suction to make the stem whistle while removed from the pipe, you're definitely drawing waay too hard 8O

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
Its a ton easier to make it whistle while together, which sucks...
gonna take it back and look at stanwell or savinelli

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
js, when you look at the new pipes, look for the following things.
1. the pipe is drilled properly i.e the hole is on the bottom of the bowl and dead center.

2. Ask them for a fluffy pipe cleaner and make sure it goes all the way down the bowl with ease, you don't want to have to twist it and fight it.

3. make sure the stem and shank are perfectly tight with no space between them, make sure it is easy to take a part but not too loose.

4. make sure the bowl is perfectly round

5. check the finish, make sure there are not a bunch of fills or sand pits.

6. put the pipe in your mouth and make sure it doesn't whistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.