PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
If you've just smoked a bowl in say, pipe A, is it sacrilegious to smoke a second one in the same pipe? Never thought about it much in my younger days, but now that I've been reading about pipe rotation and pipe furloughs here... :lol:

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
everybody's different. some will only smoke a pipe once a day, but have 3 pipes a day. if you only smoke that pipe once a week, that means 21 pipes in any given week (assuming you smoke that much).
I try to keep a rotation. I have 10 pipes. If a VA blend strikes me, I'll smoke it in one of my VA pipes. If I want latakia, one of my 2 lat pipes. I have 4 pipes for aromatic tobaccos. 2 for cavendish, 2 for others (altho I will bend the rules on occasion).
I think the biggest mistake I made first starting out was only having one pipe, smoking once or twice a day, almost everyday of the week. Unfortunately, it was my grandpa's old pipe, and now it doesn't smoke so well. I've done my best to clean it, but now I only break it out for special occasions/tobacco

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
i actually scored a cob from a friend the other day over this ... we sat down to enjoy a bowl of blackhouse in the new hackerts and i was about to refil and light up when i got told in no uncertain terms was i to do this, he is convinced that you are only to smoke one bowl a day in any given pipe and who was i to argue when being handed a new cob.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
yeah im a super fan of cobs... the smoke the price the taste and smell ... smoking a briar tho is very different and i relax more at home sitting down with a briar than a cob, it just feels good .

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
To get rid of the sour taste the cotton ball/ salt method should work. Also I have been playing with twisted up newsprint and it seems to work good also. The carbon used in the print draws a lot of the sour taste out. Just twist it into the bowl much like the cotton and pour alcohol on it let it dry over night. Remove and repeat on the second night. Then give the pipe a few days to dry out and your good to go.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I smoke two different pipes a day. I have 6 in rotation. 3 for lat blends and one for aros and 2 for Va/VaPer. I smoke 2-4 bowl in one pipe, I remove the filter place a fluffy pipe cleaner down into the shank and draught hole and the other end goes into the stem. I let it sit like that until the morning then I smoke it after work. It gets about 18h rest idk if that's long enough but I haven't had any problems so far and lets knock on wood ;)

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I rarely smoke two bowls in a row in the same pipe. I carry my pipe bag with me pretty much everywhere I go. It holds 4 pipes. So i always have enough for me and one to share if anyone is interested.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Yeah, the question is easy, but the answers are less so. . . ! ;)
I will typically smoke 2-3 bowls in the same pipe on the same day, usually with only a couple minutes' break between bowls. I haven't noticed any deleterious effect to doing so.
I dedicate pipes to specific types of blends. But I assume that it takes about three bowls of any new blend before I've smoked away the remnants of the previous one; even though they're both of the same type, I want to be able to experience and understand the flavors of each blend on its own. If I were to only smoke one bowl a day in each pipe, I would never be able to accurately review a blend. I have, for example, 10 pipes dedicated to Balkan blends. By the time I'd have two bowls in each pipe, I'd be done with the tin. That doesn't work for me.
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'll just add that I think it's a mistake to store your pipe for any length of time with a pipe cleaner in it. Air needs to circulate through the pipe to adequately evaporate the moisture in the bowl, shank, and stem. A pipe cleaner in the pipe prevents the circulation of air and will, I believe, lead to some sour smokes.
Bob

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'll smoke three or four consequetive bowls in a pipe, with a day, before thoroughly cleaning and racking her up for a little R & R. Of course, tween smokes I'll run a cleaner through both ways. A clean pipe,is a happy pipe.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't believe in letting your pipe rest. I'll smoke back to back bowls in a pipe and/or smoke a pipe in the morning and smoke the same pipe in the evening. I'll even smoke it day after day if I feel like it.
In my opinion if the pipe is constructed well with a good draft hole and made from quality briar then it will smoke fine all the time any time. A friend of mine smoked a poker pipe he made every day and as many as 10 times a day almost daily for exactly one year. Never had an issue with it once.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Briar needs to rest or it will not dry out properly. Yes you can smoke a pipe day after day but you will never get the full benefits of the tobacco you are smoking because your pipe is wet and it will effect the flavor detrimentally. Every experienced pipe smoker I have ever discussed this topic with over the years all agree a pipe needs rest. I will smoke a bowl in one pipe and then let it rest at least one day. If I smoke 2 bowls in the same pipe in one day I will let it rest for at least 2 days before smoking it again.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I generally just smoke a couple of bowls and don't think to much about it. The next day I just move down the line on the rack. If for some reason I thought I was being too hard on a briar I'd just switch to a cob, clay or meer. That is if I didn't just start with the cob to begin with. :lol:

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
When I go on fishing trip I take one pipe, smoke it the whole time. But then again it smells like fish too! So maybe dont take my advise.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Yeah, I'm with Harris on this, too. Sure, you CAN smoke back to back bowls but you won't be getting the most out of the experience.
Metalhead, as for your friend smoking his homemade pipe "as many as 10 times a day almost daily for exactly one year", he may not have had any problems, but don't you think a little rest once in awhile might have been beneficial?

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
In my opinion, it is all based on what you like. There really is no unwritten law about it. I will smoke multiple bowls out of a pipe on certain days. Having to switch a pipe out each time and let it rest requires you to have many more pipes in your rotation. Now, if you are smoking nonstop all day then maybe I may suggest that you change pipes.

I do care a ton about my pipes, but I believe that people make them sound less resilient then they truly are. Do what feels right to you of course!
-Frank

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I think the answer to your question is related to what kind of tobacco you smoke, the draft opening of most of your pipes and the type of smoker you are under most circumstances. If you are smoking an aromatic tobacco one smoke in a pipe per day may be the limit. If you are smoking a non-aromatic in a well drafted pipe and you are an average smoker with an average smoke cadence then probably two or may three smokes in the same pipe may work for you.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Historically, pipe smokers may have owned only one or two pipes ever. My experience is that smoking a pipe once in 24 hours leads to the best enjoyment, but I have smoked the same pipe two or three time in a day due to logistics without any detrimental effects. Wiping out the bowl and running a pipe cleaner after a smoke will generally allow one pipe a day adequate smoking characteristics. Poorly made pipes may crack under the stress, but honestly, I have never had such an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.