PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It may be the classic American blend: mostly Burley with some Virginia to sweeten it, and Ohm "Natural" is a good smoke that is doubly good at the price. Its tin note smells much like that of the Semois tobaccos from Europe, a sweetness with a faint overtone of almonds or hazelnuts. The mixture is slightly moist, and seems to be a mixture of White Burley and Dark Burley with some Bright Virginia in a supporting role. It lights easily, and produces at first a nut-and-oats Burley flavor, but then the lighter wheat and honey flavor of the Virginia rises. The two form a chord that then smokes down to the bottom of the bowl easily, leaving the fine grey ash that implies complete and even burning. For those who like classic American Burley blends, this is an all-day smoke at a very reasonable price.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9843#review94011
This blend is pleasant enough to smoke all day. It is not over-processed, so some of the Burley "green" flavor remains, but on the whole, it smokes well with good flavor. It reminds me of a less fussy and less sweet version of "Carter Hall" but with a little more kick.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds up my alley. And as I recall, Ohm is a pretty good deal. I think it comes in a bag that would fill a jar. Who carries it? Oops, I notice it's back-ordered at PC so, later for that.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think you would enjoy this and appreciate its practicality. In fact, it was one of the first things I thought of after smelling the leaf and then lighting up thinking, "MSO489 would appreciate this Burley blend" knowing that you enjoy Semois as well as the glove compartment blends. I am hoping to source more of this as well, possibly even locally.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have way plenty of opened and unopened tins and jars. I'll catch Ohm when it comes around. It does sound good. Some bag blends are pretty good, a well-guarded secret.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I had OHM Bold on had for my ryo habit when I started smoking a pipe in order to eliminate burning paper.

I just packed my drugstore cob with it and continued inhaling for about a week or two...it didn't taste great either way.

I put the remains away, and learned how to taste tobacco and not inhale, and I returned to the OHM Bold last week just for a check to see if I could enjoy it, and I could!

That being said:

D&R blends are on sale @ P&C and if you enjoy any ohm product, you will love D&R's lineup.

From a wonderful straight VA in PenHooker to a tasty 'oriental' nic bomb in Picayune, and all manor in between, you can find tobacco that delivers enjoyment and cost efficiency.

Last year, when this sale was on I bought several lbs. for about $100.00, and it's on again!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
A RYO cigarette tobacco labeled as pipe tobacco to evade certain tax regulations.
Disgusting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
clickclick, good point. Still, some of the bagged tobacco is standard or better grade Virginia, some of it in cuts that look rather bulky to be rolled in papers. So, considered as pipe tobacco it is reasonable leaf, good on its own and quite good for "mixing" (home blending without heat, pressure, or specific aging). I guess it's naive to ignore shady marketing maneuvers, but the tobacco market is so esoteric and mysterious, I'm not sure it is knowable to the casual customer. But I agree, the tax dodge on bagged tobacco is a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.