Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Ohhhhhhh, The Cost of Shipping Has SkyRocketed!

(19 posts)
  1. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL, I knew shipping costs had increased, but I think maybe this is a bit much. hahahahah. This definitely has to be a mistake.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Smoking-Pipe-Unsmoked-Petersons-Reject-Bent-/230925540229?pt=UK_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking_LE&hash=item35c43c1b85

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

He lists all of his pipes with that shipping cost. I've exchanged a few messates with the guy. Apparently he has been burned enough by dead beat bidders, that he feels this weeds them out. If you really want a particular pipe, folks message him and he give them the real cost. Then, he feels their winning bid will be paid. I don't know how he resolves correcting the payment but it must correct at check out time. I haven't yet bought a pipe from him.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe he delivers it personally.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Probably about what it would cost to have it delivered by armed transport.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perhaps he should wait till payment is received and clears the bank and them ship the item

I have seen sellers who specifically state that in their descriptions.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perhaps he should wait till payment is received and clears the bank and them ship the item

I have seen sellers who specifically state that in their descriptions.

I agree. One of the things that will put me off an Ebay auction immediately is overpriced shipping, or "handling" charges. I'll either pay actual shipping costs, or won't bid. Handling charges don't cut it with me, they need to pluck their own chickens. It's aggravating to bid on a couple of pipes, win the bid for $8.01, then the seller tells you his "actual shipping costs" are $24.99 via USPS priority mail and acts insulted when you call him a liar and ask for the shipping receipt.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

He described scenarios where the winning bidder simply didnt make payment period, he did not ship any pipes without payment. Then, he has the hassle of relisting, etc. I dont sell much on Ebay, but recently sold a new iPOD. Hours before the 7 day auction ended, the top bidder messaged me to see if I would take a money order. The ad clearly said "paypal only", so no. Fortunately someone outbid that clown. Such is Ebay. I'm not sure his startegy works, but he does sell a fair number of pipes. He then gets to know the buyer, and offers his more higher grade pieces(mostly Peterson) thean he lists on Ebay. Sort of an ice breaker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

I sell on eBay and it takes me all of 5 seconds to relist an item. I don't sell pipes so they may be different though. I won't but from anyone who charges outrageous shipping.

A smile will always keep them guessing.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

For the record, the price quoted to me for shipping from the UK to the US was $12, which seemed entirely reasonable.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would automatically by pass someone who listed that price for shipping as I would not take the time to find out if he was kidding or what. He is killing his sales in my opinion because I am sure I am not the only one who thinks like that.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I would guess he does miss out on a lot of potential buyers. It is a strategy, but may not be the most effective strategy! He seems to sell every pipe he lists, so what do I know?

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

shipping from the UK to the US was $12, which seemed entirely reasonable.

I agree mate. That is a reasonable price for shipping. I will not bid on a pipe, even though I may want it badly, if it is listed as 20.00+ for shipping. I have missed out on many beautiful pipes due to this.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"shipping from the UK to the US was $12, which seemed entirely reasonable."
    Don't know how they do it at that price, everytime I send stuff to family in DK, $35.00 min & customs filings/forms. I wouldn't mess with it for that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think some sellers mark the forms as a gift and put a low value on it.

I had one seller from Germany tell me that is what he would do when I would buy from him. I did not buy from him since if he would falsely complete shipping forms, perhaps he would also misrepresent the item description etc as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"shipping from the UK to the US was $12, which seemed entirely reasonable."
    Don't know how they do it at that price, everytime I send stuff to family in DK, $35.00 min & customs filings/forms. I wouldn't mess with it for that.

Maybe package it up and claim it's books....they (used to) ship books cheaper than anything else.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Maybe package it up and claim it's books....they (used to) ship books cheaper than anything else.
    is the cheapest rates fo USPS. But better be

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I sent a pipe to Italy a few weeks ago, it ran me a cool $6. The next step up was $35 (on a $50 pipe, which the buyer hadn'd paid for). It took three weeks to arrive, but made it safely, whew.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been selling on Ebay for almost 10 years. I sell things much more expensive than pipes. Most of the buyers are easy to work with. Every once in a while you get a problem customer, but not enough to take measures like this shipping charge. I would be hesitant to buy from someone that eccentric.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Could you technically get yourself tangled up in a contractual obligation to pay $2000 S&H if you won this auction?

That's what would keep me from bidding...

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   newbroom, torque, kaboom, trailboss, condorlover1, oldreddog