Oh the Trials and Tribulations of Moving!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
We're in the final weeks of closing on our first house. I'm excited to leave apartment life behind, and already planning updates to our soon-to-be abode. It's a well kept Bedford stone 1960's ranch-style complete with fully finished basement, new roof, carpet, and HVAC unit. Besides the three bedrooms, there is a generous back room in the basement for the fiancé to paint & sculpt, and best of all, an awesome 200sq ft main-floor office all to myself to turn into a study/smoking lounge! :puffy:

Meanwhile the final mortgage details and packing is stressing me out. Tonight I packed my pipe cabinet, boxed everything up. Here's most of my baccy, looking uncomfortable in their temporary digs.
06e4d2a15674dbbeea302b4ec4ccb51c_zps486d90d2.jpg

The pipes were next, I settled on a Dr Grabow bent Duke as my go to pipe 'til everything's unpacked at the new home...but what baccy? It's hard to choose just one!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Have fun. I recommend the Maple Street. Good luck with the mortgage. My job is mortgage underwriter for a Midwest bank. I really do try to make the experience as easy as possible. If I ask for a bank statement, Yes, I really do need all 4 of 4 pages of the statement.
Winton

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The best part about moving from a apartment to house is how quiet the night becomes for sleeping . You will have to fix up your new smoking room and post some pictures .

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Best of luck to you
Moving is a trying time but I'm sure you are very excited about it
You now will have a home to call your own ( with the bank LOL) and some nice tax deductions
Allan

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Good for you and the lady. I moved once or twice a year until I got into High School. Its kind of installed a unique outlook on material things. Now I have a nice big old house and get to mumble about all the junk my wife and kids collect.
If you need help moving that big heavy tobacco box I'd be glad to help. Right into my trunk...

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Good luck to you, the thought of moving makes my blood pressure go up. We've lived in the same house for 38 years. Not moving, when we die the kids have to deal with it.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Once you are moved into your home, take a copy of the final closing statement showing the purchase price to the property appraiser/tax collectors office so your property taxes can be properly calculated. If the value changes from what is shown on the closing statement, then notify your mortgage company and ask them to make adjustments to your escrow payment.
This is a critical step that a first time buyer might forget, but by doing this you will save yourself from any financial shock when you open the tax bill later in the year.
I hope all goes well with the move and you and your fiancé enjoy your new home.
Doug

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I've moved every year for the last 5 years! AZ to San Diego to San Francisco to a different apt in San Fran and now back to AZ. We've decided we are staying in our place for at least two year then buying a house. It's a real pain moving. Congrats on the new place and best of luck with the move and closing!

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Good luck on the move and congrats on the new home madman. In 11 years my wife and I have moved in and out 7 times over 4 places. I swear the house we're in now is the one I'm going to die in... or at least I'll live in until my daughter graduates from college (she's 6 now)... whichever comes first :) in the last week I've helped two buddies move though, so I'm kept my hand in. BTW, any tips on how to get my Mrs to let me turn my home office into a smoking lounge would be greatly appreciated!

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
When I moved out of school, you should have seen the box I packed my pipes and stuff in, it was twice the size that it needed to be...whole 'lotta padding.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Congrats on the new house. You probably know you can pay a little extra with your mortgage and

pay down the mortgage quicker, if you find yourself in a position to do it. Somehow I think your tobacco

stash will be one thing that doesn't get lost in the shuffle; what makes me think that? Because I would

track it like a hunting dog if it were mine. A house is a good move (pun). The moving itself, awful. Always.

Enjoy the house!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
congrats on your new home man, that is soooo exciting. I lived the apartment life for a LONG time so I know how you feel. Enjoy your new life and enjoy that great baccy collection!

Status
Not open for further replies.