PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldbaccy

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2019
Hi guys. After doing much research into pipe tobacco I decided i'd order some dunhill 965, early morning and nightcap.

I scoured the internet and can't find it anywhere.

Having never tried these tobaccos, can anyone recommend something that comes close?
Crud, what is a guy to do? :cry: What a huge let down.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the forum! Yes Dunhill is gone, but there are lots of other blends to choose from. I can't say there is a match for Nightcap, that is one of my favorites.
If you are set on trying them, there is always ebay?

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
A couple of Nightcap replacements recently suggested here are:
Ashton Artisan Blend and Peter Stokkebye Proper English.
I also think GL Pease Westminster is very similar to MM 965.
Be patient. Opportunities will come along to buy the real thing. I returned to piping after 18 years off and

found my Nightcap no longer available. I now have all 3 of these tobaccos on hand (NC,EMP,965)
And they aren’t even my favs anymore.
You’ll find there is a ton of great tobacco available today.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
there are the Charatan's replacements and talk of STC coming out with their own version so all is not lost.
https://www.gqtobaccos.com/charatan-dunhill-replacements/
whether they will ever make Us I dont know due to FDA

Jan 8, 2013
Crud, what is a guy to do? :cry: What a huge let down.
Well, you've never had them, so why the let down? There are too many great, and probably superior blends, still available to be let down over something you've never had.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I liked some Dunhill blends but they were not the best out there. It’s funny, back when I started it was the same thing, always heard about these Dunhill blends but at the time they weren’t available in the States so I had to find other blends, about a year later Dunhill re-released their blends in the US and I’ve found out that I preferred a whole lot of other blends more than 965, Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap. Don’t let the unavailability of Dunhill blends discourage you new pipe smokers, there are a ridiculous amount of great blends (that I find are much better) other than Dunhill. Granted, I will miss Flake and Dark Flake but their English blends were middle of the road in my opinion.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I once heard how delicious unicorn farts smelled and now I find out that unicorns don't exist, can someone steer me to the right "horse"?
Go to tobaccoreviews.com and search for English.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I loved the artwork for the Nightcap and Early Morning Pipe tins. Basically, the only reason they were on my list. Seems that most of Dunhill's offerings were English blends, so I can't say I'll miss them.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
There's still a few Dunhill blends in stock at smokingpipes.com and pipesandcigars.com.
I'd provide links but I'm too lazy today.
I personally found BB1938 to be worth a try.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's been over two years since BAT announced that it was discontinuing manufacturing and distribution of the Dunhill brand of pipe tobaccos. The current Dunhill blends were never the "real thing". The real thing stopped being made around 1980. These were clones of clones, licensed to use the Dunhill name, but sourcing different tobaccos and employing a different production pipeline to manufacture the blends. Doesn't mean that they were bad, just that these blends were trading on name recognition to sell a copy of "the real thing".
You missed Dunhill by nearly 40 years.
Believe it or not, there are a lot of excellent blends available, blends that were more popular and better sellers than the recently departed Dunhill step clones, sales of which had become lackluster, leading to their being discontinued.
Don't be disappointed, be elated! There's better stuff available. You're getting some solid suggestions from members here.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I liked Nightcap well enough. I still have an unopened tin that I would trade for something else. I have since discovered GL Pease Quiet Nights which I like better anyway. There are so many good mixtures out there that the demise of an old one is just the opportunity to try something new. Look on the bright side.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, you've never had them, so why the let down? There are too many great, and probably superior blends, still available to be let down over something you've never had.
Indeed. The sun set on superb Dunhill tobaccos a long time ago. Still, nostalgia is a good thing, and I have a bunch of tins cellared for those days.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't waste time on lamentations. Blends have been going out of business for several centuries. You can still find Dunhill blends if you want to pay up. There are numerous matches and similar blends available. There are incredibly good lines of blends by C&D, Seattle Pipe Club, Daughters and Ryan, Mac Baren, Sutliff, Lane, Peter Stokkebye, and so on. So just work at shopping and see what you like. Right now the pickings are plentiful. In a few years or less, maybe not so much. So make hay while the sun shines.

oldbaccy

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2019
Appreciate the info. Took the advice and went to tobaccoreview.com.

Did some serious reading there and put the pedal down on a decent order at pipesandcigars.
This is what I ordered after reading up at tobaccoreview:
Item Description

Item #

Qty

B/O

Ship

Price

Total

GL Pease Gaslight

2 Ounce Tin

GL7-TP-1000 1 0 1 $11.05 $11.05

MATCH Nightcap