PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Awhile back (approx. 3 months ago)I jarred up a tin of 3 Nuns after taking a couple of bowls out of it to smoke. I didn't have a 2 oz. jar at the time, I only had a 4 oz. jar, so I used that. Granted there was some free air space in the jar. I took it out earlier today to rub out some of the coins and noticed some moldy fur on 2 of the coins sitting on top. I removed those 2 coins and looked the rest of the tobacco over really closely with a magnifying glass, but found no more mold. I put the whole thing back into a 2 oz. jar, without smoking it and I have decided to let it sit awhile to see if more mold shows up in the smaller jar.

I have 3 questions:

1. Is the remaining tobacco safe to smoke or is the whole thing ruined?

2. What if I watch it for a while and no more mold shows up (BTW I don't inhale), will it be safe then?

3. Did the extra free air space in the jar promote the mold growth?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I smoke the Mac Baren Three Nuns regularly and have never had an issue with mold. It may be plume? If it is mold it probably wasn't air that created the issue but more likely moisture. There would need to have been a spore introduced somewhere along the line to make mold as well and most blenders, including Mac Baren, have reliable methods of ensuring this doesn't happen.
Otherwise this...
Remove moldy parts, heat the rest at 160 F or above for an hour.
... should kill any residual cooties and may make it taste better?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Yes, that level of heat should kill the spores without substantially damaging the tobacco or its delicious Nicotine.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
If it was furry, it was mold. Definitely heat treat it before putting in a clean new jar. Mold is generally toxic and will enter through the mucosa in your mouth, nose and sinuses, even if you don't inhale. Good luck!

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
That will fry the tobacco.
Take a small sample and wave it for a min. You won't be impressed with the results.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Microwaves heat the water molecules, so it should have no effect on spores which are bone dry until they encounter moisture. I'd go with an oven. Some others may have more experience in this area and better assist. (Cue Deathmetal...:) )

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Why is heating a fix for 3 Nuns but this wouldn't have worked for Carolina Red Flake?

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
What about putting it in a deep freeze? This is standard practice for cigars with tobacco beetles (I have had to do it on two different occasions)and it saved my humidor. Granted beetles are not mold, just curious.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Ok I'll try it in the oven this weekend sometime.

My wife is going to love this!

Maybe I'll do it tonight after she goes to bed, that way she won't know a thing about it and I won't get a hundred questions.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Why is heating a fix for 3 Nuns but this wouldn't have worked for Carolina Red Flake?
It would have worked because heating mold at 140 degrees and above kills it, but there's a difference between pulling out a couple coins that have mold and then baking the rest of the tobacco; and baking a whole tin of moldy tobacco. How much dead mold does one want to smoke before it's too much?

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Oh, not a recommendation nor am I disputing more experienced puffers and medical professionals but, I had some Penzance mold on my once....smoked every bit of it. And, it was fantastic. I did sprout a third nipple but that was a small price to pay for Penzance. 8O

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
dU5Krzr0_400x400.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.