PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
Was up in Northern Ky yesterday, and stopped by my Mothers for a bit. I grew up in the area, but have lived in the south central part of the state for the last 20 years. And one of the things I miss greatly is Goetta. God bless my mother, on the occasions I make it up that way, she always has a couple of pounds of this heavenly substance to send home with me. For the uninitiated, Goetta is a meat and grain concoction that you pan fry. It is simply the best breakfast food in the world( along with bacon of course). If you grew up in the Cincy Nky area you know what I speak of. I think PA has a derivative(scrapple) but Goetta is simply the best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goetta

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds good. Does it have origins from "the old country," and if so which one? Or is it an American dish? My wife is a food writer, cook, baker, and such, so I'll pass this along to her.
Oops, all the info is in the link. German and then American.

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
It is mighty tasty. Gliers is the gold standard imho, especially the original and the hot. One of the things I miss about growing up in the area. That and Findlay market down town. And Octoberfest.

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
None at all with Haggis, although Ive never had haggis. Goetta comes in either blocks or tube. You slice about 1/4 inch pieces and fry them much like sausage patties. Delicious anytime of day! Goes well with syrup, ketchup, or apple sauce as a condiment.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other trimmings, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are removed, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush.

In my opinion,gloriously good stuff...

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
My Baba (grandmother) who lived in N.E. PA loved scrapple.

She also loved head cheese & pickled pigs feet.

I think that my father grew up eating these, but never transferred any affection for them to his children.

Have never had the pleasure of any of these delicacies.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
If Gliers or Finkes won't ship, there is always the possibility of Jungle Jim's. I'm fairly confident someone there would throw a frozen brick of this through the post, if persuaded right...
Also, to clarify: goetta is pork and pin oats, seasoned and pressed. Breakfast meat plus carbs. SOOOOOOOO good. Makes fat kids happy. o)

Status
Not open for further replies.