Oh How Things Have Changed...For The Worse.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Whilst scanning a UK film channel on my tv the other day I saw a film listed that I had never heard of..."A Million Ways To Die In The West". I'm not a huge film watcher but the title piqued my interest so I clicked on the 'Details' button. The film was vaguely described as expected but was followed by..."Warning: Contains crude humour, strong language, sex, violence and drugs".
Now I'm no prude by a long stretch but it seems that nowadays films are made to do nothing other than try to out shock each other in content that quite frankly makes my blood boil. What happened to good storylines and plots that made the viewer think as well as entertain?
Aren't modern scriptwriters capable of coming up with a storyline that doesn't include any of the above 'warnings'?
I think that much of what ails modern society is directly due to us being fed day in day out films with so much negativity and downright nastiness that our younger generations watch and accept as being society's norm. It never used to be like this.
Needless to say I skipped the film and played some tunes instead :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

From the days of Shakespeare until today, there have been horrible books, plays, shows, and movies. Sure, we remember the best of the best. That's easy. But, have you ever watched a godawful beach movie from the 50's? I remember many many horrible movies from the 70's and 80's. I'm sure somewhere out there in the days of Shakespeare, puppet shows or even full plays depicted someone farting for half an hour.
I would hardly say that the idiocracy of today is unique, nor indicative of some deeper failings of our culture. Heck, Game of Thrones rivals Shakespeare on an artistic level of every facet.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I can only speak for myself and of my own preferences, so keep in mind this is just my own take, but I honestly am tired of seeing a preview of a movie where I can tell it's based around boobs and explosions. Like I said, I'm only speaking for myself, and I do thoroughly enjoy the female anatomy...but I try to keep my desire aimed at my wife and I'm not interested anymore in ogling someone else's lady parts. I think Cosmic made a great point, as I'm sure there have always been "two streams," but I do also understand what Mr. Jay is saying. Great discussion!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I hate movies that rely on CGI instead of a great storyline or plot. Oh yeah and bathroom humor is fine for a few lines, then it gets wearisome.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I find myself steering towards British films and TV on Streaming media, good stories, looks like American stuff is Boobies, Bang, Blow it up or remakes of Classic shit that they destroy what the old film tried to portray. You and I know what's destroying Films But I ain't gonna say it. :mrgreen:

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I think with film-- "movies" of this genre, the revenue generating demographic is 18 to late 20s maybe. If I'm not mistaken this group typically views more movies by a pretty wide margin than an older demographic. Hence, reliance on female jiggly parts, explosions, crude language and the like. In this case it's not about the plot, but rather the jingle, as in money.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"American stuff is Boobies, Bang, Blow it up."
Brad, I'm so glad you said that, I didn't dare in case a certain member fell on me yet again :oops:
But it is largely true though of course the US makes many more films than the UK does.
Though not films, I thoroughly enjoyed my box sets of 'Deadwood' and 'Boardwalk Empire' and though they had bad language, occasional nudity and of course violence, it wasn't done in a gratuitous way. Plus they had truly excellent storylines which was the main attraction for me.
Eric, I think your conclusions are right on the money...pun noted :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Once you've seen that shit in real life it pales on screen. :laughat: PS I thought about it and have to say American TV is really taking a turn for the better, many good story lines on TV , maybe that's why Big Name Actors are easing into TV. Loved True Dective, well the first one, second one sucked, The Americans is top notch.

What I loved most about Series like GOT, Vikings, and Boardwalk Empire was bloody body parts flying through the air, heads exploding, foul mouthed dirty talking, bouncing parts, and just downright nasty sex scenes. Now, if "A Million Ways To Die In The West" had of had any of that, it might not have sucked so hard.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
They have been out of ideas for some time. The biggest part of this is the "workshop method" which encourages seeing characters through their circumstance instead of their moral, intellectual and emotional growth.
That being said, the industry is in flux. Cord-cutters have doomed cable; what is rising are television shows viewed through the internet, and so the focus has shifted there.

Ludicrous!

Today we have more creativity, more diversity, and more quality in entertainment than ever before in the history of mankind.
Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Vikings, Breaking bad, Guardians of the Galaxy, Pandora, Satellite Radio, the internet...
This is not that Reality TV squaller for the chronically brain dead. This is taking censorship away and allowing creativity to sore giving us more choices than ever before. Also, the internet and cheap technology makes it so that a record company is no longer telling us what is good. Artists just make it themselves and we now have billions of bands that are fantastic to chose from. I hear more things that I had never imagined possible when I turn on my Pandora.
Star Wars and Star Trek look like cardboard and Popsicle stick with one-dimensional plots by today's comparisons.
Nope nope nope. We are living in the age of entertainment. I can't think of any better time to be entertained that right now.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nearly every movie this year is a remake or a sequel. As for the nudity, that's for the Millennials, I got bored with that noise years ago.

Nearly every movie this year is a remake or a sequel.

At least Guardian of the Galaxy two blows Rambo 6 away with more exciting editing and action... and music.
The 80's were much more about sequels than today. There were whole months in the 80's that every theater only showed sequels. Rambo, Rocky, Police Academy, Naked Gun, Karate Kid, How many Friday the 13ths could they think of?
Hmmm, sorry you don't like boobs. It is an odd thing to admit in a public forum. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.