PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Hello everybody,
after more than 2 years of pipe smoking, having spent countless hours on the internet and having bought no less than 25 pipes ( some cheap and some not so cheap ), I finally crossed the line and bought a brand new Castello. The famous and highly collectible shape 55. I just wanted to finally know, what is it like to have a top quality pipe. And not just any, but a Castello in particular.
And now I know. It is so nice, that I do not want to smoke any of my other pipes anymore. I only smoke 965 in it, and all I will ever smoke in it is English. It just tastes so good, it must be the quality of the wood itself. And most importantly, it did so from the very first smoke. I mean, it was like the minute I lit it, I knew this was what I had been missing. Only sad thing is with all the money I have spent until now I could have had like 4 maybe 5 Castellos but, hey, better late than never right?
So, although they did not give me a free pipe, and I get no benefits from advertising I have to say:
Those of you who really enjoy pipe smoking, if you have not tried Castello, do yourselves a favor and get one. Yes, it does cost 4 times as much as something you would normally buy, but in the end you will end up with one pipe you will love all your life instead of four pipes you will be looking to sell in the future.
This is just the way I feel about the whole Castello thing, and I just wanted to share my thoughts wth everybody. I mean no offence to all you fellas buyng the cheap stuff, I have been doing it myself, until now.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
A really nice pipe makes it that much better. With any task, working with really nice tools makes the work more pleasant. CONGRATS!! Photo?!?!

Reactions: Papamique

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Red-
I got my first one at Iwan Ries following the Chicago Pipe show. What a great store! It's a Sea Rock, and I am breaking it in the old fashioned way. I like it equally with the Ryan Alden author I got at the same time.
There's a small disappointment, though. The interior of the rim has a small char mark. Yes, put there by me, but it must be a soft spot, as I just don't char my rims- smudge, yes, but no charring. I lit it carefully, as I do will almost all my pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here it is, before lighting up.
XntH6FK.jpg

No longer pristine, there's a small charring of the rim opposite stem side.
2q6BwUn.jpg

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
My only problem with Castellos is the bit. A little too thick for me.
So for 20.00 I had vulcanites made.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
^ I agree. I think they Sea Rocks and Old Anitquiris are the best bang for your buck in pipe smoking. They are more of a workshop pipe than a factory. Last I heard they had 6 pipe makers working for them. They have shapes and styles to appeal to almost anyone.
They can be real bargains in the estate market.

Dec 28, 2015
Red I completely agree with you. I just recently got my first Castello which also happened to be the first estate pipe I have bought. It was love at first smoke. And the beautiful thing about it being an estate besides the great price was the fact that it was already broken in perfectly. And I know what you mean about the affect it has on your desire to smoke your other pipes. The only pipe that competes for my attention is the new Radice I just bought. I only smoke Virginia flake in mine and ever time is a magical experience. Can't wait to get another one.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
If it wasn't for the acrylic stems I'd own one. If anyone here wants a Castello Sea Rock Canadian I have one for sale. PM me or I have it listed in an older B/S/T thread.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Bilkay.. I don't have a min here so I can't measure. They may indeed be 4mm. My other pipes may be either marginally less or less noticeable because they are ebonite.
But I do know that the nut width on a standard mandolin is 1 1/8th and a wide nut is 1 3/16ths. That 16th go an inch make a huge deal. So might half a mill or less.
But they are indeed GREAT Virginia pipes.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have one Castello estate - a Sea Rock dublin I bought at Chicago last year. It's old enough that it doesn't have the "K" grading system. I like it a lot.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I love Castello. They ARE what Dunhill purports to be. In fact, of my last several pipe purchases there were only two brands, Rinaldo and Castello.
They are great for Virginia/VaPer, my current favorite is one of the fumed top Sea Rock style rusticated (but marked Old Antiquari) 1/8 bent acorn that I've dedicated to McConnell Scottish Flake. I only have one that is a good latakia pipe.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Congrats, Red! :clap:
I have two of them and really enjoy the way they smoke ... right up there with the Cobs. :puffy:

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I was also amazed at the quality smoke that my Castello turned out to be. It is the best smoking pipe in my rotation. Remember you could always sell a few of your other pipes that you have acquired to fund another. Congrats! :puffpipe:

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Ah, another one joins the fold.
I have more Castellos in my collection than any other marque, and you now understand the reasons. Welcome to the club. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.