Oh boy...wont need a pipe cleaner on this one...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Spent a week or so without my Dr Grabow Lark, my first pipe. Well, the wife found it in the dryer. Most of the finish was washed away, but from the looks of it, it wasn't ruined. I'm nervous about smoking it, but it actually looks kind of cool now.
This ever happen to any one?

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I did that! I felt really dumb, but the pipe survived just fine.
Well, mine was washed, but I found it before the dryer. I'm betting it will be hunky dory.
Report back!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Should be fine after a SLOW drying out. Remove the rest of the finish now, and when you do deem it dry enough to smoke, go real slow.
Enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Someone on Forums pointed out that briar is washed or moistened with water several time during its manufacture as a pipe, so a short dunk isn't terminal, though still not recommended. I'd dry it out thoroughly, buff/sand off any remaining finish, and let it re-finish itself as do unfinished pipes like Savenelli's unfinished line. You'll get a pretty walnut color that deepens with time and polishing. The plastic stem should do fine. Glad this had a relatively happy ending, and that the pipe didn't end up down inside the filter trap where it is hard to retrieve. (I just pulled a coat hangar out of ours???)

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I once found my cell phone in the dryer. I forgot to take it out of my pocket when I threw my jeans in.
It worked fine.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Heat your oven to around 85 Celcius, put that pipe in after removing the stem and let it simmer for a few hours, don't touch it for a few weeks and dont try to put the stem back in either. The stem will go in after the resting period.
What is this supposed to do?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It's supposed to make your oven smell deliciously pipey! Just in time for holiday baking season, too.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It's supposed to make your oven smell deliciously pipey! Just in time for holiday baking season, too.
I would like a Carter Hall pie please! Mmmmm...
Or candles?
Or I could just smoke....

I had a guy once tell me a story about how he destroyed a pipe when it fell in the river while fishing. I kept asking him what he meant by "destroy."

"I had to throw it away."

"Why did you 'have' to throw it away? What was wrong with the pipe?"

"It got wet. Everyone knows that when a pipe gets wet, you throw it away."

"But, what about getting wet destroyed the pipe?"

"Getting it wet, destroys it."
The Abbot and Costello routine went on for a bit, until I realized that he was just making shit up. Nothing bad will happen by getting a pipe wet. I leave mine out on the porch and they get rained on. Not on purpose, but things just happen. They work fine when they dry out. My wife once washed one of my Nordings in with the dishes, I still smoke it.
I wouldn't advise someone to immerse their pipes in water as a matter of practice, but if it did happen... It will be fine. I have yet to see proof of one disintegrating in water.

Status
Not open for further replies.