PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
There's been enough posts on here about OGS that I decided to give it a revisit. I've had some aging a couple years.
I'm still in the minority that don't love this stuff. It's too one dimensional and flat for me. The grass and hay flavor is there, but it is flat and unsatisfying. I never seem to get the sweetness out of it that others do. The Perique is so light that it just doesn't do it's job. All I get from the Perique is a vague sort of tingling in my mouth that feels like I smoked too fast.
i could see it fitting the bill on a hot summer day- the kind of day when only a Coors Light will do even when you have a palate for craft brews.
I've had this 100 g tin in a jar for a couple of years. I'm sure I will pop the top occasionally and dip into it, the bigger question is what to do with my unopened tins. I think my celler is better filled by another blend, and this stuff left to the rest of you to enjoy :)

This was one that I loved in the beginning, but have grown out of it some. It has an uncured taste to it, like it was never processed all the way or something. The times that I have enjoyed it somewhat was on very hot days. But, for my money, I'd prefer the Newminster Navy Flake for hot days. And, yeh, if it has any perique, it is so faint that it's not even worth mentioning. Calling it a VaPer is a stretch, IMO.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Apparently at the ten year mark it is the cats meow. It sounds alot like the current version of erinmore though where I hear apricot flavors in the topping.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I enjoy it enough to keep one or two tins in the cellar. It is one of the least expensive blends I like so that is another plus. I haven't had any with age but most VA's with age are much sweeter than without. I may have to keep the few tins I have closed up for a decade. :)

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Mild smoking mixtures take some work to appreciate for those who are more attracted to robust, full bodied mixtures, at least this has been true in my own experiences. When I started working at the tobacconist last year I had up to that point always been a fan of full bodied, dark Maduro wrapped cigars. Mild or medium cigars were like smoking air and I was always at a loss when I'd hear people discussing complexity and nuance in these "light" offerings. Some education from my mentors and some changes in how and when I smoked began to show me what I had long been missing out on. I found the same to hold up even more for pipe tobacco, especially bright Virginias.

I know now that as delicious as OGS is I can't expect much from it if I've been smoking heavier, more robust blends earlier in the day. If I happen to go for a day or more without smoking at all and load a flake like OGS it is tasty as can be and very satisfying. It's a well blended and constructed flake that's simple to smoke and never disappoints me as long as I remember that it is a very mild blend. There has been musings that it doesn't even contain Perique but it's there, no question.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Settlersbrace I can certainly appreciate what you are saying.
For me, I just enjoy the more complex blends too much to spend mental energy appreciating something else. I think I was able to tease out what is there- it's just not enjoyable enough for me to buy more.
As I think about, I tend to like string flavors- coffee, red wine, scotch....maybe I've got some palate developing to do.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
tarak, I am with you on OGS, I do not care for it at all fresh, way too grassy to me. I have smoked 15 year old OGS that is sublime. It turns jet black and wreaks of raisins and figs. Unfortunately I do not know when the change took place, like if it was at the 10 year or 8 or 12. It is worth hanging on to though if you have the patience to age it.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Tarak, I totally get what your saying, if it's not doing it for you then it's time to move to another. Right now I'm devouring a tin of SG Golden Glow, it's the richest, tastiest bright Virginia I've come across and although it's milder than FVF, it's got a lot to offer.
Cigarmaster, OGS is one I never thought of cellaring but your description of that flake turning black is intriguing. I'll have to bury a few tins.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
setter, I have also seen blends like Hamborger Veermaster, Fribourg & Tryer Cut Virginia Plug and Escudo all turn jet black after 10 years of aging.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoyed OGS right from the first puff. I find it straightforward but also subtle. I certainly enjoy more complex Virginias and Va/Pers, but I consider OGS a commendable blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.