PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I have a 100 g tin of OGS that I'm looking forward to opening, but I've read here that the 100 g tin contains one long continuous flake that is folded over on itself. I'm guessing that it's going to look something like this after I open it:
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/tobacco-reviews/orlik-golden-sliced/orlik-golden-sliced-flake-sizes.jpg
So, the obvious question is how to tackle this monster. Anybody got experience with these super-size flakes? I'm thinking of unrolling it and slicing into more manageable flakes to store in a mason jar. But I don't want to get in over my head until I hear from some experts.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I bought the 100G tin and will be buying more. As for the way its packaged, yes its a continuous flake and as for storage I bought a rubber sealed flip top jar that holds the entire amount in the bottom. It would actually hold two full tins.

As for how I use it, I just break some off and stuff it into my pipe. Works out fine for me.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
There's really no right or wrong way to go about it, cutting it into more manageable sized flakes is what I usually do as well with my Gwaith&Hoggarth flakes I get which are monsters. Cube cutting is a great way to enjoy a flake, and if in doubt, rub it out is solid advice. Throw it into a mason jar after you open it, the tobacco.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
i jar the tin whole here, as well.
usually, i just grab it by the hank, pull it just a bit above the jar and "trim" what i need off the top with a small pair of scissors, dropping the rest back into the jar.
gravity feed and fire away.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I always cut down flakes to fit vertically into half pint mason jars. I find that two of these cut-down flakes more than fill most of my pipes.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
It's not one continuous flake, it's just a bunch of very big flakes folded over a couple of times.
Bunch'em up in a jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.