Official Thrift / Junk / Antique Store Find Thread

(11 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by mikethompson
  • Latest reply from pappymac
  1. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thought it might be nice to see all the cool stuff (pipes and other) that we've found at local spots. I've yet to find any pipes, but I did find 6 Beatles albums for under $20 total.

Any other good finds?

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

II would just have to take a picture of my house. Almost everything except some of my clothes are from thrift stores or antique stores.

Hell, that's even where I found my wife!

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 2 months ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe it's regional, or maybe I just don't scout these places often enough, but when I do visit these places, there are rarely if ever pipes. When I ask about them, people look at me like I'm being unreasonable. I think this must have been cigarette territory, so even when people are dismantling the old family home, they don't unearth pipes. My wife brings home other items for the both of us, so I don't.

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll have to take some pictures to post.

I find there 2 basic types of antique shops. One is an emporium with booths for multiple vendors. This type usually has a very wide variety of things and is great for deals and general finds. The second is more of a single proprietor shop. This is where I typically find pipes. These are the places that tend to go to estate sales and purchase the whole lot and then sluice it out for their shop later. The other is more hobbiest type vendors.

One local place is a single type ship that has an offer of all the pipes they have for $450. There's on the order of 60+ pipes in the case. Very tempting for an average of $7.50/pipe. If I was retired it might be fun to clean them all up and sell them off individually just to see if I could do it and give me something to do with my time.

Posted 2 months ago #
  5. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have some estate pipes I picked up cheap at antique malls (multiple dealers). If I go to a "charity" thrift shop like Goodwill or Salvation Army...I never find pipes or pipe racks.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. fluffie666

fluffie666

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a neat thread. I found an old Westinghouse box fan. It's probably from the late 50's, all steel construction and still runs smooth.

The motor is on mounts. Kind of like a car engine is on motor mounts in order to reduce vibration.
    This fan has a reversible motor with a low and high setting for forward and reverse. This thing is a tank.

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

One of my 9004s and a 904 were thrift store finds. Both were under $10.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 2 months ago #
  8. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My late wife and I had been fortunate to find several cool pipes and related items over the years. I (she) found a 1926 Dunhill 120 Shell(sold) and a 1927 Dunhill Billiard. Both for $10 each. I don't go looking as much as I used to, I lost my hunting partner and its not as fun anymore.

Jason
    Posted 2 months ago #
  9. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So sorry Voorhees...I remember the day you posted it.

Found a couple of pipes at a junk store...Yello-bole Canadian, a CAO meer that she called an ugly brown wood pipe and an old Grabow carved billiard...all for $1.25 each.

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. dontbeaburleyman

dontbeaburleyman

Login to Send PM

Started looking for estate pipes a few months ago. Here's a pic of a few:

Jobey Asti
    Butz-Choquin d'Argent
    Comoy Patina
    Marietti Meeting

Just found a pre-1965 Ben Wade Walnut I'm working on now. I've been pretty happy with what I've found!

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have found a number of good buys at the junktique type shop referred to as antique malls. Awhile back, on place had two Preben Holms Ben Wades and one Preben Holms and I got all three for a reasonable price. Most recently I found a Dunhill Red Bark for $50. The only pipe I’ve found in a one owner antique shop was a Salmon & Gluckstein from around 1890 to 1915 that I paid $35 for.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   creole, danimalia, elbert, corncobguy, redglow, jhowell, voorhees, alexnc, weezell, pianopuffer, haparnold, peregrinus, timelord, craig61a, ben88, leafsmoker, deleon