PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
It's been a long 2 weeks of late nights and a lot of extra work but it's worth it. Anyway, I just got home from a long day again and had time for a short pipe before bed along with a little Netflix. The show was a subtitled Anime and it got me wondering. Are there any fans of Anime or other foreign TV/film genres? If so, do you prefer the subtitled or the dubbed? I personally prefer the subtitled as I feel it gives a truer representation of the original intent. Also, I find it usually tends to be a bit more correct in the translation. The exception to the rule is, of course, any Godzilla movie.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Dub. I can do other work and still enjoy the show. W/ sub, I have to sit and really pay attention and not get any work done. Some favorites:

Tri-Gun, Cowboy Bebop, Blood+, DBZ & DBGT, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Trinity Blood, Inuyasha....others?

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Dub for anime. We use to watch Inuyasha but that was a while ago. I like Korean movies in subtitles. I have to be in the mood to read threw an in tire movie though.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Die hard Dragonball Z fan. I prefer subtitles. Actually, I can't stand dubbed movies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I love anime. I prefer dubbed but subtitles are okay. Amongst TV shows I am a big fan of Bleach. I even read the manga.
Hayao Miyazaki is a master filmmaker. "Howl's Moving Castle" is simply a classic. He has a number of other excellent films ("Spirited Away", "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind", "Porco Ross0", "Princess Mononoke", etc.)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've always preferred subtitles.
With dubbing, very often they need to change the entire audio track. At least with live action, this means they will dub in all of the ambient sounds too - which kills any possible realism. I prefer to see the film the way the director actually intended.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
When I mention my Dub preference, I mean it in the full production dubbing that companies like Funimation put out. So anything live action HAS to be subbed (in my book) and if there isn't a full english production of an anime, I'd rather read a manga still than watched one subbed. Not sure why, because a lot of LA subbed movies are amongst my favorites, but that's the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.