PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
A few of you might have noticed I haven't been active in the forums since the last 20 days or so. I have been fighting an infection of a lipoma (benign fat deposit) in my left inner thigh. Somehow it got scratched and got infected. Holy Cow my thigh swelled to 3 times its size. I had to see a Consultant Surgeon and was put on antibiotics. Incidentally I was not given a diuretic to get rid of the extra fluid in my body (oedema), so I had to make a few quick calls to doctors in my family and friends network to get that specific drug prescribed to me.
Ultrasound couldn't even penetrate the skin at that time and hence I was prescribed a CT Scan and if that didnt worked an MRI. Fortunately, the CT Scan worked and I didn't had to undergo the MRI (which is 3 times the cost of a simple CT Scan. Outpatient Services are not covered by my insurance plan)
Fast Forward to today, the swelling is gone, I am still on the meds. A part of the skin chaffed away to expose a tiny bit of the dermal region, which drips fluid (5-10ml a day) if I sit too long. Although no pain is involved.
I will be flying near my home city (around 1800 miles away from where I currently live) on Monday to get admitted into Christian Medical College, Ludhiana. Historical hospital, was founded in 1894 if my research is correct. My paternal cousin and her husband also works in the same hospital in Accounts and Corporate Health Services so that's a positive thing. We all know insurance cases are usually horribly over-billed.
The Consultant Surgeon indicated the surgery might be extensive as the lump is around 8"x6.29". Basically my entire left thigh will be cut open to get the gunk out of my body. I am not concerned about the biopsy they are going to do or the surgery. What I am dreading is the awful recovery time and the pain afterwards.
Kindly pray for me or if you are not of a religious nature, please send good vibes and thoughts towards my way. I will be needing them for the next 3-4 weeks.
I will be available on facebook after surgery, thanks to the reluctantly bought iphone this month (my profile is https://facebook.com/vschristopher79)
Thanks for reading my rant and I will see you in a month or so.
PS: I will be packing a few pipes and the new tins I ordered this month, Dunhill Aperitif, Baby's Bottom, Cabbies Mixture, Cabbies Mixture Rope and Mac Baren's Scottish Mixture. Let's hope the hospital room they will put me in has a balcony to sneak in a bowl or two.
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Sounds like an ordeal, but one you will overcome. Good luck finding a smoking area at the hospital, and be wary of oxygen tanks.

Vibes your way.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Sorry for your pain and hope you have a quick recovery. Good idea bringing a pipe or two as I'm sure you'll be bored out of your mind for a while.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Nothing like a glorious spring surgery!! I'll likely be going under the knife in the next couple weeks as well. I'm told that they don't allow smoking in the surgical suite. What a load of crap! It's our money and we should be allowed to do as we please when we're paying to be sliced open. No liquor either, but since they supply the propofol I'm willing to overlook it.

May the lord provide you with wonderful pain meds! Good luck!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, Nate, mixing oxygen and fuel (like the bedding and furniture in the hospital room) and ignition is the design of a high-power conflagration like the first stage rocket to the moon. Monk', I feel for you -- my wife has been through two different staph bugs in the last six years, around a hip replacement. Good recovery to both of you. I'll send good vibes, prayers, anything that will help.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Good luck Chris, I sincerely hope all goes well in your surgery and that your recovery time is short and pain free.
P.S. You might ask your relatives who work at the hospital where the employees take their smoke breaks.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Do what they tell you, but be your own best advocate! I want to know what they are doing to me.Prayers sent...

Status
Not open for further replies.