Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Of Kevin and American Frontier Saloonmen

(8 posts)
  1. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kevin's general presence on this site (his site) and his handling of the recent fracas reminded me of what Elliott West writes about the successful saloonmen of the mining frontier in the Rocky Mountains. West notes first of all that the good saloon owners were genial. He then goes on to write:

"[T]he saloonkeeper faced a dilemma. It was in his interest to encourage among his patrons a spontaneity and an easing of inhibitions. The saloon's atmosphere of freedom from social restraints recommended it as much as its beer and whiskey. At some point, however, an overly boisterous drinker became obnoxious or threatening to those around him. Under such circumstances, the better behaved majority expected the barkeeper to provide a minimum of protection. A proprietor talented in peace keeping thereby gained an important edge over his competitors...Open, gregarious, a man not above drinking with his friends, a fine fellow but hard when he had to be..." (West 1979: 59, 61, 63)

For me, and I expect for other members as well, the Pipes Magazine Forum is an Internet-age saloon (BYOB). I believe it to be a successful one. For the success of this forum many thanks are owed to Kevin, a man who seems to possess the traits that would have made him a successful frontier saloonman. Cheers!

Reference: West, Elliott. 1979. The Saloon on the Rocky Mountain Mining Frontier Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. kcvet67

kcvet67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very well put.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Thanks! And bottoms up!

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kevin's general presence on this site (his site) and his handling of the recent fracas reminded me of what Elliott West writes about the successful saloonmen of the mining frontier in the Rocky Mountains. West notes first of all that the good saloon owners were genial. He then goes on to write:

"[T]he saloonkeeper faced a dilemma. It was in his interest to encourage among his patrons a spontaneity and an easing of inhibitions. The saloon's atmosphere of freedom from social restraints recommended it as much as its beer and whiskey. At some point, however, an overly boisterous drinker became obnoxious or threatening to those around him. Under such circumstances, the better behaved majority expected the barkeeper to provide a minimum of protection. A proprietor talented in peace keeping thereby gained an important edge over his competitors...Open, gregarious, a man not above drinking with his friends, a fine fellow but hard when he had to be..." (West 1979: 59, 61, 63)

For me, and I expect for other members as well, the Pipes Magazine Forum is an Internet-age saloon (BYOB). I believe it to be a successful one. For the success of this forum many thanks are owed to Kevin, a man who seems to possess the traits that would have made him a successful frontier saloonman. Cheers!- Buroak

I'll drink to that!

Pipestud
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. desertpipe

desertpipe

Login to Send PM

A double Bourbon, neat......and thanks for both the freedom and safety you maintain here.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I will not be laid a hand on. I will not be wronged. I will not stand for an insult. I don't do these things to others. I require the same from them.”
    - J.B. Books, the lead character in "The Shootist," a Western by Glendon Swarthout

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well said...... Course on a sad note when a gun fight breaks out its usually the bartender that get hit in the crossfire. Lol

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Concur.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bouwser, headhunter, buzkirk, sumusfumus, odobenus, disinformatique, donjgiles, ormazd