PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I went coney snaring in the uplands. Well not snaring, I was quoting the Lord of the Rings where Sam gets Gollum to snare him a couple of Coneys and he makes a stew out of them for he and Mr. Frodo. Actually went Rabbit hunting which I haven't done for about 20 years. I shot this pretty one and have it stewing on the stove as I type. I pan fried it in bacon grease after quartering it up, now it is stewing in a broth of water and the grease with onions and carrots. As we get closer to the end I will add sweet potatoes and portobello mushrooms. The stew is a bit heavier than what Sam was able to prepare having only some salt and a few herbs, but I'm not stuck wandering the forests of Ithilien. Also the great thing about rabbit hunting is that you can smoke a pipe while doing it. So to honor the hunt and to celebrate my prize I smoked a bowl of Shortcut to Mushrooms in my Nording Hunter series Bear as I walked along watching the dogs do their work. Here is a few pics.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
shaintiques you just reminded me of some great times I spent with my dad rabbit hunting.

We had two small beagles that worked great as a team.

Rabbit is good. Have an extra bowl for me.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Living in Northern New Brunswick and close to Quebec with its french heritage, I enjoy my rabbit in a tortiere. Chef friend of mine did a lovely one that included nothing but game meats (moose, deer, rabbit, partridge, and woodcock). That pie was to die for!
Shaintiques, your stew looks pretty enticing on a cold winter's night.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Of course I'm going to click on a thread titled Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit! Only hunted one rabbit, with an NEF Pardner single shot 20ga, but we fed him to the foxes for supper, salt and herb free, I'm afraid. Good on you for the choice of tobacco, that stuff tastes like you're smoking cream. What kind of shottie is that? It looks pretty in the pics.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Dude that is awesome. Any LOTR/Hobbit references always get my attention and your post was fantastic. Enjoy a few bowls after eating that Coney. Sam and Frodo would want you to.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Thanks fellows, it smells amazing and is pure torture waiting for it to cook.

My shotgun is a Remington 870 12 guage. My dad and I have a matched pair. It is a beautiful gun and is very reliable.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
We eat a few rabbits, fried with gravy. But I have not hunted them in a few years.

But I raise a few to eat.
I do love my pipe during squirrel season, something I recall from my childhood

hunts with my uncle and grandfather.
Great pictures, and a good looking pot of rabbit.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
This is actually the first rabbit that I have ever killed or stewed for that matter. Just tasted it and wow. I will be in the briar patch again very soon.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
Ah rabbit. That Dutch oven full of stew makes my mouth water. It's a blast from my childhood. Grandpa raised rabbits in the coops out back, and we had it frequently as I was growing up.
Try the following:
1 rabbit (3 1/2 pound), cut into pieces

salt and pepper to taste

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 cups onions, diced

2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped

2 tablespoons parsley, chopped

1/2 teaspoon oregano

1 cup white wine

1 can tomaotes and juice (14-16 oz), chopped

1/2 cup chicken broth

1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
Sprinkle rabbit, cut into pieces, with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in 12" skillet, over medium-high heat. Brown rabbit, turning once; 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add diced onions, fresh rosemary, parsley, chopped garlic, and oregano; cook 7 to 10 minutes, until the onions are softened. Add white wine, boil until reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir can of tomatoes in juice into this, plus rabbit broth, sliced mushrooms, and salt and pepper (breaking tomatoes up with spoon). Return rabbit to skillet; cover and simmer for 45 to 50 minutes or until cooked through. Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley over top. Serve over polenta.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
@junkyarddawg, thanks for the correction on spelling…my french is a little rusty. Yep, my buddy did it with onions but not potatoes that I recall; I could be mistaken. As I recall, he did he tourtiere around Christmas. We started off with a fiddlehead soup and second course was goose w/ creme fraiche. Its good to have a chef as a friend. Coincidentally, I'm encouraging his PAD habit. He picked up a nice Peterson Churchwarden in green the other day and an estate Savinelli Canadian.
Rabbits and pipes, a nice life indeed.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Rabbit stew is always good in the winter. I've gotten to where I like to hang them in my smoker. Season & mop the same way you would a chicken. Very good & tender.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Just had an after stew smoke. A bowl of Waccamaw Low Country in my Nording Bear #2. I have 2 Bears. Great little dessert smoke, tastes like a molasses cookie. Flavor paired really well with the stew.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Got indian and mountain folk in my heredity, and you guys are killing me! Going to have to go out into the woods behind my house and bring home some rabbits for the stewing pot. Nothing better than an old fashioned stew when the snow's on the ground.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
rabbit, biscuits and gravy...three of the basic food groups in this part of the world.
that 870 is great gun, as well.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
We made Hassenphepher (sp?) for Christmas dinner. Such a wonderful meat that has been all but forgotten in the U.S.. I was very surprised how much of it my kids ate even after we told them it was wabby:)

Status
Not open for further replies.